SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Durabac is just like that rubber non skid rubber based protective that they use on pickup trucks and sometimes for marine use. I have tried a heat gun, and scraper which did not work very good and I have tried just scraping it with a sharp putty knife but it still doesn't work very well. So some proven suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Why?

Just wondering why you are taking it off as I was thinking about putting it on? The only bad stuff I've heard about it is that it is damn near impossible to get off. Which is said to by part of the reason it's so good, as in durable and tenacious. I'm hoping it's just the color you don't like as opposed to problems as I'd pretty much made my mind up and the deck is sanded just waiting for warm enough weather to paint. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Junior Senior
247 Posts
I can share my experience with Durabak. I did a complete paint job on my boat in the spring of '06. It looked fantastic and was the most effective nonskid I had ever seen.

Before the end of the first season, the edges appeared chipped and uneven.

I called the Durabak distributor and was told that there must have been some tape residue that seeped under the edges. That didn't sound right to me but I liked the stuff so I bought some more and put on another (3rd) coat the next spring. This time it came with a catalyst; the first batch didn't. It went on easily and so far has held up well.

On reflection, the original chipping may have been caused by our new puppy with sharp nails.:rolleyes: I don't think it was a problem with the tape, as I removed it as soon as the paint was tacky.

One more thing: don't use white. I painted my pop-top with white Durabak and was very disappointed. It seemed to attract dirt and was impossible to get completely clean. It looked like it was mildewed. I ended up painting over it with polyurethane.

I am happy with the tan Durabak on the rest of the boat. It still looks good, is easy on the feet and butt, and it gives you solid footing no matter how far you are heeled over.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Heinzir-

how hot does the tan get underfoot???

·
1,000 Posts
5 gals of gasoline..apply sparingly..then walk back 5 feet or more, take a deep breath...light a match...

It will all come off..ALL of it...guarantee you will never ever have to clean that boat

·
Registered
92 Posts
I found Durabak too rough on the skin.

Went with a product designed for use on a boat (not on a truck bed).
Fantastic results with KiwiGrip.

·
Junior Senior
247 Posts
Heinzur; what kind of paint did you cover your white durabak with? Mine is dirty gray now, and will have to be painted..
I used the same white 2-part polyurethane that I had used on the rest of the deck. It covered ok and looked good when first applied. By the end of this last season, though, I see that it has some good size chips in it. Apparently the Durabak is too flexible to support the much harder urethane. I'm going to remove it all and start over. Fortunately, the white pop-top on my boat is not that big, and the non-skid covers only a portion of it.

I had also used the white Durabak on my cockpit sole and it looks pretty dirty, too. I just clean that up as best I can and cover it with a nice cockpit grate.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a stupid question. How does one remove it? I know, I know -- I should start my own thread

·
Junior Senior
247 Posts
How we digress! Sorry! :D:D

I just took another look at my pop-top sitting in the garage. The chips aren't actually in the non-skid area, they are in the smooth part that the hatch slides on. The polyurethane paint on top of the Durabak still looks good. I am going to just sand everything and slap on another coat of 2-part white.

If I was to remove the Durabak I think I would soften it with Xylene first and then try scraping. Otherwise a paint stripper made for fiberglass?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts