SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The kids are off school for 16 straight days starting December 20th. This rarely happens.

I would love to get the boat down to Florida to spend some time in the Bahamas, but just don't have the $$ to pay a crew, or all the time to sail her down myself. It seems a real shame to kick around Florida instead, staying with relatives, friends, and at hotels -- and not on our boat. But that is what we are looking at.

So throwing it out there to the forum. Any ideas or options that I haven't considered?

Boat is a 2000 Beneteau 505.

Regards,
Brad

·
Sailing Junkie
300 Posts
Where are you starting from? If it's too far to transport, not to mention the expense, I would charter.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Considering time of year, and that it would be a two way trip, I would think a charter would be more realistic.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Starting in New York. Boat is in Montauk right now, I could get her down to Cape May or thereabouts in the next couple weeks. I could even take a week off to move her, which means 9 days with adjoining weekends, just don't want be put in calendar mode and run into trouble.

68 foot air draft, so ICW is mostly out.

Return could be in the spring or early summer. I can take more than a week off in the spring to move her then. And would have more $$ to pay for crew and an experienced captain. So spring is an easier situation -- both with time and money.

Looking for possible creative solutions. There's no money in the budget to charter another boat.

I feel the pull of warm sunny islands but with just my one brain thinking about it, they seem out of reach.

Regards,
Brad

·
Water Lover
773 Posts
Is there anyone in Florida who might be interested in doing some sort of boat swap with you? Does anyone here know of someone who has done such a thing?

One other thought is how much the various costs of moving the boat, including fuel, marinas, feeding crew, value of your time, and possible breakdowns/wear and tear on the boat, would compare with the cost of a charter.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Get an unpaid crew to help you sail her down to Florida? Leave a few days early so that you can spend more time with your family in FL?
Sounds like a great adventure. I would make time to see it happen.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Is there anyone in Florida who might be interested in doing some sort of boat swap with you? Does anyone here know of someone who has done such a thing?
Kind of like a time share swap. That sounds like a plan. I have heard of this being done with houses.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Why not keep an eye out for a good weather window and run her down? Jump from Montauk to Atl. City or Cape May then take Del Bay route out to Norfolk if your 68' will make it under the C&D bridges (I don't remember) and wait for a window to run around the Outer Banks into Beaufort. Beaufort to Charleston, Charleston to The St John's R., St John's to Canaveral, Canaveral to Ft. Pierce, Ft. Pierce to Lake Worth and across to Memory Rock.

With the wind turning more northerly, staying inside the Gulf Stream, you could have some good sailing and deal with class A inlets all the way. If you could even get her down to N. Fl. you could leave her there and then sail to the Bahamas any time. That's what I'm doing this year. Brought the boat down and left her in Green Cove Springs.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Try calling NJ Boat Hauler, All Aboard Marine Transport, Home Page. They haul up and down the east coast. I wonder if you couldn't catch them as they head south to pick up a boat (though this time of year, they are probably going in the other direction). You might be able to cost-share with someone else.

·
Master Mariner
8,561 Posts
I'm with smurphny on this one. You might be able to make the trip in 3 or 4 overnights, resting between if the weather is bad (anything southerly). Check the pilot charts for the wind this time of year. At the very worst, you might have to leave her until you get a long weekend, but there are plenty of safe marinas along the coast.
I've used several of the free crewing sites with great success. There are always plenty of young folks with some experience needing sea time for licensing or whatever. Be certain to take only Americans, as taking a crew of any other nationality can possibly leave you on the hook for the cost of their repatriation.
You might get really lucky and find someone on these sites you would be comfortable with (after sailing with them for a few days) finishing the trip w/o you, should time send you back, in exchange for living aboard in Fla, until they find another boat going somewhere.
Or even find a professional captain with all his gear, needing to get to Fla (where there's more work) for a modest sum (saving him transportation costs), again living aboard until another position becomes available.
Hope this helps get your boat south; good luck.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
With a water draft of 7.55' on your Bene 50 you may be limited to where you can anchor/dock in the Bahamas.
BENETEAU 50 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
With that said, keep me in mind if you decide to sail down.
6 foot draft. (It's published as 5'11" and we currently float above her lines, so 5'9" in reality.)

Regards,
Brad

...Or even find a professional captain with all his gear, needing to get to Fla (where there's more work) for a modest sum (saving him transportation costs), again living aboard until another position becomes available.
Hope this helps get your boat south; good luck.
Good thought capta. Our boat is a sweet livaboard too:
stack pack
windlass
dinghy davits
long range wifi
wicker love seat on deck :)
true sine wave inverter and microwave, propane oven
4 double beds
540 watts of solar power (got rid of the wind genny)
top notch fridge and freezer -- ice cream :)
TV and DVD (40 DVD library)
Siruis satellite radio, with input for iPhone/iTunes
1,000 liters of water, engine driven hot water
11.5 RIB with 20hp Tohatsu
dodger and full bimini
lots of opening hatches and fans​
She really makes for a luxurious livaboard.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
845 Posts
OK, i'm game. Pay for plane ticket back to NY, throw in food and water, some drinks at the end of the journey and i'm in.
Are you going to try and make it in one shot?
What's your destination in florida?
Do you realize how long a trip outside this could be?

·
Registered
125 Posts
And where do you plan on leaving this vessel for the winter? Don't you think where ever it is that it will cost real money? If you can't afford to charter, I fear you can't afford to leave the boat in either South Florida or the Bahamas.

I have made the trip from Sag Harbor or Newport to South Florida numerous times. If you have a schedule you will be tempted to make decisions based on your timing needs, not on prudent seamanship. And even if the weather cooperates, you'd be pushing it. I have a smaller (and therefore slower) boat at 35'. In my most recent trip south, I made Newport to Beaufort in 4 1/2 days and Beaufort to Miami in 5 days.

Your constraints make me feel that this is an idea that need some very serious thought before acting. As presented, it doesn't sound like a very wise plan.

·
Registered
22,184 Posts
Find a delivery skipper that may agree to take her down and back in exchange for living aboard and using her all winter other than those couple of holiday weeks. You will pay in wear and tear, however.

Reactions: davidpm

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
And where do you plan on leaving this vessel for the winter? Don't you think where ever it is that it will cost real money? If you can't afford to charter, I fear you can't afford to leave the boat in either South Florida or the Bahamas.
I figure the east coast of Florida will be about the same cost as having her on the hard near New York city.

I have made the trip from Sag Harbor or Newport to South Florida numerous times. If you have a schedule you will be tempted to make decisions based on your timing needs, not on prudent seamanship. And even if the weather cooperates, you'd be pushing it. I have a smaller (and therefore slower) boat at 35'. In my most recent trip south, I made Newport to Beaufort in 4 1/2 days and Beaufort to Miami in 5 days.

Your constraints make me feel that this is an idea that need some very serious thought before acting. As presented, it doesn't sound like a very wise plan.
Agreed. That's is why I'm asking the question. I could take a week off, giving me 9 straight days, even 10. But they may not be the "right" days given weather. I'd rather not put myself in calendar-driven decision mode.

For Newport to Beaufort, how did you make that trip so quickly?

With a 9 day window I could more easily find 5 good days to at least get to Beaufort. Especially because I would try to not lock-in the time off until a few days before, giving me several weeks of options.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
EXACTLY...

As we say here in NJ, Fuggeddaboudditt... If you can't find the time to do it yourself in one shot, your costs will add up VERY quickly. Trying to get a boat south in 'steps', taking long weekends or whatever, can become one of the most costly ways to make the trip. Flying to and from places like Charleston or Jacksonville can be incredibly costly and time consuming, as is leaving your boat in marinas during the interim, such is definitely NOT a strategy for getting a boat south on the cheap...

And, for what? 16 DAYS around Christmas??? Hell, that time of the year, it's entirely possible to wait for 2 weeks for a window to cross the Stream to the Bahamas... Unless you're gonna find a LOT more time over the course of the winter to spend down there, I can't see how this would make any sense whatsoever...

Exactly... :)

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Just as an aside, she was built in France, but has the Waiver of the Coastwise Trade Laws to operate in coast-wise trade. That was a gift from the previous owner.

Intended Use: ``Weekly and day charters.' '

Geographic Region: Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode
Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Delaware, Maryland,
Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.
Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I feel your pain Brad.

I plan on being in the Rio Dulce for Christmas and the best I have been able to come up with so far is a trip to a marina and renting a panga.

Most any professional skipper will require that you have a liferaft on board.
They cost some significant percentage of what a charter costs.
I don't remember if you have one or not. If you do have one they have to be repacked and serviced every couple of years or so.

There are a lot of those guys that are regulars on this forum so they will chime in with their gear requirements.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts