SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 50 year old Petrel; a 12' aluminum sailboat. I can't find anyone who has used it in the last 25 years for info on how to use it.

I noticed that there was nothing to secure the rudder to the boat; and while I thought there should be, I figured if they designed it that way, it can't be urgent.
Today I found out I was wrong. On my second outing today, the rudder simply flies off; fortunately I managed to hold onto it by the tiller extension.

Attached is a photo of the rudder. How do I secure it? I was thinking of drilling a hole near the top, and attaching a rope between the hole and an eyebolt near the bottom of the boat. I would put another eyebolt inside the boat in case I needed to take it off for some reason. Does that make sense? Any other ideas?

Also attached is a very poor photo of two holes behind the rudder, just below the gunwale. (sorry, it was full sun and I couldn't see the display...) Something was there at one time; maybe it was something to secure the rudder. Any idea what it might have been?

Thanks much.

Attachments

·
19,485 Posts
You can either: drill a hole in the top pintle and install a pin to prevent lifting out, or, the holes you refer to may have held a retaining clip - you could make one yourself. Simply a bent piece of metal that pushes in as you install the rudder, and 'pops' out without force applied just on top of the pintle block, again preventing the rudder lifting out of the gudgeons.

Here's another solution:

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/p-g/rl336-7/rl336-337.htm

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can either: drill a hole in the top pintle and install a pin to prevent lifting out, or, the holes you refer to may have held a retaining clip - you could make one yourself. Simply a bent piece of metal that pushes in as you install the rudder, and 'pops' out without force applied just on top of the pintle block, again preventing the rudder lifting out of the gudgeons.

Here's another solution:

Rudder Hold-downs
The bent piece of metal you referred to would be similar to the top item at duckworksbbs?

·
Master Mariner
9,220 Posts
A spring of ss plate about an inch wide and a few inches long, which sits above the upper pintle to keep it in place. They are called rudder retaining clips.
As you install the rudder, it is pushed toward the transom then springs out (aft) above the pintle. Should be very cheap and easily installed.

Attachments

Reactions: christian.hess

·
19,485 Posts
The bent piece of metal you referred to would be similar to the top item at duckworksbbs?
Yes... it would be pretty easy to make one yourself, I'd think...

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
You can also tie a line from under the top gundeon and around the tiller. I sailed on a very nice 5O5 dinghy that was setup that way yesterday and it worked fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered a Rudder Retaining Clip from Duckwork. That is a great place! I ordered a bunch of little things from them.

In the meanwhile I will try tying it down.
Thanks all for the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Toller
Have just inherited a petrel that hasn't been sailed for about 40 years am missing a rudder any chance you could take a couple of pix and some dimensions. I have made one from plywood as a test but would like to make one properly.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Toller
Have just inherited a petrel that hasn't been sailed for about 40 years am missing a rudder any chance you could take a couple of pix and some dimensions. I have made one from plywood as a test but would like to make one properly.
Thanks in advance
Sure, I will do that in the next couple days.
Seems like none of them have been sailed in the last 40 years; though I am quite satisfied with mine.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,629 Posts
spring clips in the bottom of the pintle pins should be enough. Also it looks like a home made "kick up rudder" you may need or want 2 lines. one to pull up , one to pull it down. Most rudders float so you don't have that problem.
This outfit makes a very nice one.. pricey too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts