SailNet Community banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
I thought it was a competitor to the Smart Gauge then realized they have no competition. Yet.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
I invite you to investigate US Patent #5,656,919 issued on Aug 12,1997 to "Cruising Equipment Company". Just go to the US Patent website. It clearly lays out the SOC calculation used in the Xantrex type Battery monitors.

This is by far the most accurate SOC calculation on the market. Smart Gauge does not even come close.

Clearly the Smart Gauge could not use the above calculation because it was patent protected. That means they had to do something else. There is no doubt that Smart Gauge playes second fiddle.
Bryce

·
Registered
407 Posts
For those interested, here is the first page of the patent.

This calculation is considered the way to do an SOC calculation. The guys at Cruising Equipment were incredibly brilliant in their investigation of the SOC calculation. And we should give credit where it is due.

These Xantrex, Link 10 and the others were ahead of their time when they came out and clearly no one is better even today!!

The way they do their SOC calculation is exactly they way I suggested they must do it on the other thread.
Bryce

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=81546&stc=1&d=1477841583

Attachments

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Once upon a time I worked for DEC, and was a "VAX (VMS) Notes" user.
Do you remember the green punch card story? It was on the last page of DEC Journal sometime in the mid 80s and is famous among us old guys to this day.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,153 Posts
Do you remember the green punch card story? It was on the last page of DEC Journal sometime in the mid 80s and is famous among us old guys to this day.
No, and I would like to know about it. I do remember the "always mount a scratch monkey" story, which you can find here.:eek:

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
No, and I would like to know about it. I do remember the "always mount a scratch monkey" story, which you can find here.:eek:
My story is not nearly as strange.

A DEC site had a card reader that always jammed on a green card. Any green card. You put one green card in a huge deck and the reader would jam and stop on that card. Every. Single. Time. It got escalated through DEC technical support and a lot of hours were spent trying to resolve the problem. The customer was an engineering firm that had a lot of tests done on cards of various colors and determined that the mechanical characteristics of the cards were the same. The only resolution was to put a sign on the reader that said "Do not use green cards."

In a feeble attempt to get this thread back on track, I have a current customer who murdered his batteries. I plan to sort through this thread and the other discussions by Maine Sail about batteries to be sure I don't miss anything in providing advice. Thanks to RC for all he gives.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts