SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
When there are other boats on a mooring it's easier to raft to one of the boats already on the mooring and then add your line to the mooring from the dinghy once you are settled. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've sailed in Boston Harbor for years, and have only seen that in certain mooring fields; a few water-taxis do it on a temporary basis only, and that's really it in terms of shared moorings I've seen here. It really doesn't strike me as an ideal situation for a number of reasons.

I wouldn't trust my boat on a shared mooring without knowing a lot more about the situation. How much can it hold? In how much breeze? How long will I be there? Who are the other boaters? Do they know what they're doing? Are they insured? How much do they like their boats? How much do you like YOUR boat? Is there another mooring field nearby? I'd consider a lot of other options before snagging one of these.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Hello,

I had to do this for the first time this past summer when we spent the day at Oak Bluff on Martha's Vinyard. There were 2 to 3 boats on every mooring. We motored around until we saw a similar sized boat on a mooring. They told us to pull along side and raft to them, then connect to the mooring. We did and it worked out fine.

Just be careful to run your lines so that you can drop the mooring with out causing other boats to loose the mooring.

Barry

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hello,

I had to do this for the first time this past summer when we spent the day at Oak Bluff on Martha's Vinyard. There were 2 to 3 boats on every mooring. We motored around until we saw a similar sized boat on a mooring. They told us to pull along side and raft to them, then connect to the mooring. We did and it worked out fine.

Just be careful to run your lines so that you can drop the mooring with out causing other boats to loose the mooring.

Barry
Good advice. You also want to make sure that your masts are not lined up especially if you are the same length. If you start a roll due to wave or wake action or even someone walking on deck , your rigging (ie spreaders) could snag each other and cause all sorts of misery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.