SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tapped some threads in my mast. I need an anti-corrosive grease that will prevent galvanic corrosion between the dissimilar metals. I know I've seen this discussed here before, but can't find it right now.

What specific brand names do you recommend for this?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Tef-Gel and Lanocote are the two most popular. Both are insulators and they are not going to set up or dry out so it is less likely that the screw will get stuck in the threads. Tef-Gel is expensive and Lanocote is less so. The distributor of Lanocote (Forspar) are supposed to have a new Teflon concoction but I haven't used it.

The best preventive maintenance is to flush all the hardware with fresh water regularly so salt doesn't sit for long.

·
Master Mariner
9,220 Posts
Any auto parts store will have an anti-seize compound for aluminum. It is copper colored rather than the standard grey. Been using it for many years w/o any corrosion problems between s/s and alloy.

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
I'm sold on Tef-Gel. One small tube (it comes in a syringe) will likely last an owner a lifetime.

I used it years ago to coat the SS screws that hold an access panel to the furler on the mast. Each season, they would be slightly corrode together. After applying, zero issues. In fact, I keep forgetting I did it and find the white grease like paste still there from last year. I've reused them without reapplying for few years now. With some of the recommended products above that dry, you would need to clean them off and reapply each time.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is a good source of Tef-Gel? Some online places seem to want to charge high shipping charges for a little 20 cc tube.

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
I ordered it from Jamestown Distributors. Not sure of shipping, it was probably combined with a larger order at the time.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
As usual, West Marine's price for Tef-Gel is about 20% higher than JD and others, but I have $20 in bonus dollars from WM, so I went ahead and ordered it with free shipping to the store in New Castle, DE.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts