SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Precision 165 into a local boatworks to have some work done. They spilled what appears to be fiberglass resin on the non-skid deck and the steps into the cabin. They apologized, but said there is nothing they can do other than paint over it.

Does anyone know of a solvent that would remove this from the non-skid, but not damage the gelcoat?

I appreciate any ideas!

·
Registered
967 Posts
You're stuck...

Epoxy is pretty inert to nearly all solvents. Acetone will soften it slightly, but it will also do the same to the gel coat.

You can try and scrap it off with a razor blade or a grind it down with a dremel.

DrB

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
if every thing was waxed before, a little hammer ( edit when i say a little hammer i ment a little hammer ) tapping it might pop it loose. this only works if its drips or globs.

you could also try small pieces of dry ice applied only to the epoxy. dont tap it when cold, but let it warm up then try the tap

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would be inclined to let the UV do a number on it for several months, then go at the edge with a razor sharp knife, at a real low angle. It will probably peel off. I would wait till it turned really yellow. As long as the area where it spilled wasn't too rough, it should all come off if you go slow. Post a pic if you can, and we might see another solution for you. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts