SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boat is permanently on 45 lbs Danforth anchor and it has held up great for about 4 months. I am worried that the rode might be in trouble due to the HIGH amount of barnacle growth on it. It is 3 strand Nylon and I think it is 5/8" diameter. It looked to be in really good condition when we set the anchor but now it has grown to about 4-5" in diameter :eek: Does anyone know if this kind of growth will shorten the lifespan of the Nylon or could it possibly increase it????

I think in a couple months I want to pull everything up and check it out and possibly replace the rode, but I have no idea how to handle the existing rode? It is about 100' long and seeing as how it is covered in barnacles I think it could be a very dangerous proposition.

Do you guys have any ideas on how to deal with this?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
:)
[Fudd voice]
V-E-W-W-W-Y----C-A-R-E-F-U-W-W-W-Y.
[/Fudd Voice]

Fish-cleaning gloves, spare anchor & rode, hammer and a rock, lots of time.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Pulling up that encrusted rode may be more effort than it is worth.

Maybe set a new anchor and rode, and if possible dive on the old anchor cut it free and retrieve but abandon the old encrusted rode as a habitat for whatever is growing on it.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,843 Posts
Run a butter knife along it as you raise it, a few feet at a time, knocking the barnacles off. Avoid using a sharp knife.

Feel it with with your hands afterward and address any hard spots.

Be ready to throw it out if it's too beat-up or you can't get all the hard spots out. The hard spots are like embedded knives in the rope, not good.

(All the above is opinion. Haven't been there or done that, at least not with anything that bad.)

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
interesting

have you dove on the rode? usually its the last feet of water that are really messed up...its where the critters live and feed...

if its chain its a non issue as you leave the stuff die in the sun after retrieval on deck and they fall off with a mallet and or scraper etc...

use gloves like manatee posted

it might not be as bad as you think

however 4 months on non chain rode is a lot...

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Pulling up that encrusted rode may be more effort than it is worth.

Maybe set a new anchor and rode, and if possible dive on the old anchor cut it free and retrieve but abandon the old encrusted rode as a habitat for whatever is growing on it.
Leaving the rode there may be nice to the critters but not to the sailors that want to use the anchorage after you. They will, unbeknownst to them, have a 100' long line of high probability of fouling their anchor, with possibly dangerous consequences.

Clean up the mess!

·
Master Mariner
9,414 Posts
Leaving the rode there may be nice to the critters but not to the sailors that want to use the anchorage after you. They will, unbeknownst to them, have a 100' long line of high probability of fouling their anchor, with possibly dangerous consequences.

Clean up the mess!
As somebody that had the extreme pleasure of acquiring a free anchor and rode courtesy of some other careless boat operator, I would like to thank MastUndSchotbruch for his wise words. Do not just chuck it in the water for others (or yourself) to foul. An hour and a half of our lives wasted getting free of this gift and arriving after dark in Grenada as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
898 Posts
As far as retreival goes, I would attempt to clean it in the water. Use dive gear. That marine mess does not need to be brought aboard. And rinsing is rather inherent in the process that way. You will make new fish friends as you do it. Next time clean it regularly.

I'd try a big dull knife. Like a machete. And a stiff scrub brush. They sometimes clean up pretty well.

·
Living the dream
350 Posts
I had a mooring line that spent 6 months in tropic waters over the summer. I only had some old leather sailing gloves as protection, but I used these with a paint scraper to clean the barnies off. At first, there was a lot of broken shell from the bases but it all seems to have gone now and I still use the lines in a secondary capacity.

I'd let out a second anchor and pull in the first bit by bit, cleaning the rode as you go. It's a horrible messy, dirty and slow job but it can be done. I'd recommend the chefs carving / fish filleting glove(s) though if you can get them as those barnies are sharp as.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Reason would suggest it's doing damage to the rode, particularly as you hack the growth off.

What's the long term plan? Doesn't seem like the boat gets used much, if at anchor for 4 months in Jax FL and you're not planning to pull it up for another 2 months. Is it left unattended or do you live aboard? One or the other may suggest a different long term solution.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for your advise. I was planning on removing the old rode because i don't want to liter the bottom with rodes each year.

The boat is always located here, but it does not sit for this long. I have the Danforth set 100' off the bow in 8' deep water and have a loop in the rode that gets attached to the bow cleat. I then run the rode along the toe rail to another loop attached to the stern cleat, and then continue the rode 75' back underwater and have it tied to a pylon on the dock and sunk to the bottom. The dock is too shallow at low tide for the boat which is why we have it 75' off the dock. To the left 100 yards is another dock that extends out past the bow of the boat and to the right 150 yards is another bock that extends past the bow of the boat, so I don't worry about other sailors passing between the dock and the stern of the boat.
When I want to go sailing 2-3 times a month I just throw the rode over the side and I have a buoy floating at the bow loop so I can hook it when I return.

I do not have dive gear but the next time I have my bottom cleaner out to the boat I will see if he will mind diving on it to retrieve the anchor. Then we can clean the anchor, attach a new rode and reset the anchor. Then we can pull up the existing barnacle rode from the dock to keep the boat clean from the mess. I guess I can just repeat this process once a year and be good to go. $150 per year for new rode doesn't sound that bad.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Or.......plant seeds in the oysters for your own private pearl-farm. :)

How's the water quality? Can you eat the oysters without serious gastro-intestinal aftereffects? Or use them to bait fish/crab/lobster traps?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Or.......plant seeds in the oysters for your own private pearl-farm. :)

How's the water quality? Can you eat the oysters without serious gastro-intestinal aftereffects? Or use them to bait fish/crab/lobster traps?
We are at the mouth of the St John's river so it is pretty nasty by the time the water gets up to us. I would not eat anything out of this river. Are barnacles the same thing as oysters?

·
Registered
898 Posts
[NEWANCHORTHREAD] A *Danforth*? However is that possible? You should have lost both rode and boat by now! [/NEWANCHORTHREAD]

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Did I follow this correctly? You've essentially fashioned a mooring system, with the bow secured to anchor and the stern secured to a piling on the dock?

That would prevent swing, which would be one reason the Danforth has been reliable. It hasn't needed to reset itself.

If you end up dropping $150 for new road continuously, wouldn't an investment in chain makes economic sense? You could splice some rope on the end to attach to your cleats, but not enough to go underwater.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would get help from a friend, then on a calm day at low tide work an old beat-up dinghy ( do not use your inflatable ) under the rode so as the rode goes water, one side of the dinghy across the the other side then to your boat, take a plank to lift from one sideto the other, then when you get over the anchor, tie a piece of line to the rode with a rolling hitch, tie a float to that then at high tide break the anchor free.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Don't sound like barnacles to me sounds more like a mass o mussel to me I did one like that a few years ago used a plastic ice scraper from wally world save some of the bigger ones for a good lunch it will take a couple hours to clean and retrieve however. Also as several have already said don't leave it in the water not sure about where you live but here it is illegal to do intentionally also I am still using that rode on my secondary anchor after retrieval and cleaning soak in a bucket of fresh water for a couple days then inspect it for damage prior to reuse and next time for long term use chain easier to clean

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.