SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Well, good thing those fittings were Norseman, and not Sta-Loks, because he forgot to put in the 'formers' that are a part of the assembly of the latter :)

One offhanded comment from the rigger surprised me, however... He pointed to a bit of surface corrosion/light rust on the re-used fitting, and suggested something to the effect that "you could clean that up or remove it if you feel like it, but it doesn't really matter..." Maybe just me, but I would think a professional rigger would suggest one deal with even the slightest hint of surface corrosion whenever it appears. Chances are that fitting is going up to a tang on the mast, after all, where it will be 'out of sight, out of mind', for the most part...

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
Too much chatter, not enough work.
I thought the cones were reusable in Hi-Mod fittings?

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
Too much chatter, not enough work.
I thought the cones were reusable in Hi-Mod fittings?
I thought I read the same thing when I got Hi-Mods for my boat. I believe you can still get the cones and crowns by themselves if you need to. Maybe it depends on any part of them being deformed in any way.

·
Registered
557 Posts
From my recent re-rig.....
ALL parts of the Hi-Mod fittings are reusable. No extra parts are normally needed on the next re-rig other than the new cable.

Sta-Lok and Norseman require new parts (cones & .. ) for each re-use.

You can see my install of Hi-Mod fitting on my Youtube page or the video direct at;

*** Note, this video is in 3D, but you can turn that off by going to the bottom and clicking on the small gear then "3D", off.

Greg

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
From my recent re-rig.....
ALL parts of the Hi-Mod fittings are reusable. No extra parts are normally needed on the next re-rig other than the new cable.

Sta-Lok and Norseman require new parts (cones & .. ) for each re-use.

Greg
+1 I'm a Hayn and CS Johnson dealer and Greg is correct. Hi-mods (Hayn) are the only ones that are completely re-usable (assuming normal use). Sta-loks (CS Johnson) and Norseman require new parts.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
well I just did some norsemans up...they were about 20 years old simple as heck

id use hi mods if I didnt already have 80 percent of the previous rigging done in norsemans TOP AND BOTTOM

so to save a few bucks I went with new cones and called it a day

the issue is to pay attention to whatever terminal procedures you have

if its norsemans its to use loctite on the threads and ample sealant to prevent corrosion...what sealant anyone that doesnt smell like vinegar

if its staloks it to not overtighten....some threads showing is ok

hi mods...get the cones and wires well spaced

others dunno

they are all decent if not great and more BETTA than swaged simply cause you can check status and fix or replace

cones for my 5/16ths wire were less than 10 bucks for each wire...enabling me to replace either wire or all for cheap...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts