SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Sailnet's internal search function isn't usable for most people, I thought I'd post a tip on how to search for past posts and threads on Sailnet using Google.

It is pretty easy to do.

First, open a web browser window to Google. If you have a search toolbar that uses Google, you can use that instead.

Then, in the search box, type your keywords and then type
and click on search or hit return.

This will cause Google's search engine to search just Sailnet's forum pages for your keywords.

While, you can't search for posts by specific username—it will generally give you better results than Sailnet's search function will.

For example, a search for "Froli Springs" on sailnet brings up this.

A search using Google for "Froli Springs site:www.sailnet.com/forums" brings up this.

I hope this helps. :)

Reactions: TheFrog

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
Thanks dog-. I'm sure that will help since the search function here is useless.

·
Francophobe
168 Posts
Make it sticky!

I think this one deserves a sticky! Short, sweet, to the point and may save repeat posts on the same topic.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to help... :)

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Well done Dog. Three Cheers.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Better than making it sticky... alter that little search box at the top of the page to use Google instead.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I vote for the Google thingy and sticky is a good idea, too. People need all the help they can get. I had no idea you could do that with Google. I'm new to sailing and new to the site and I concur on the limitations of the current search feature.
Mike

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Google has some great features. Being able to limit your search to a specific site or part of a site is one of them.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Denby-

WOOF! :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Simply put...the search engine on the Sailnet site SUCKS! Using Google's search engine is a workaround. Thanks for the tip!

I'm hoping somebody from Sailnet eventually reads this. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to want to buy things (LED Nav light for example) from Sailnet (yep, search your records...still haven't bought one...I gave up because of the search engine). I'm using equivalent to a 56k modem. I don't want to spend 30+ minutes searching through page after page of things that aren't even close. I'm sure customers have been lost just because of the lousy search engine. Bang for your buck, investing in a better search engine has got to pay dividends.

Thanks for letting me vent,

Skipper, J/36 "Zero Tolerance"

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
J36ZT-

That's exactly why I posted this.. if you want, you can search the Sailnet Store just the same way. Just use the following in your search:

site:shop.sailnet.com

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Only if it is a gourmet doggy biscuit... I have standards. :)
I was just going to give my dogs a biscuit, would you like one too?:D

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
You'd think they'd fix the store at some point. I had this odd idea that it was a commercial enterprise. They're probably waiting on federal bail out funds to renovate it. (g)

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Actually the federal bailout is moving in other directions:

You may have heard that Starbucks is reporting a 97% drop in its 4th Quarter profit.
What you probably haven't heard is the following:
Rep. Pelosi’s bill would subsidize the 600 money-losing Starbucks locations by giving away millions of taxpayer dollars in so-called ‘Venti Vouchers’ to residents of these hard-hit neighborhoods. If the effort fails to revive the flagging stores, Rep. Pelosi said Democrats would “seriously consider nationalizing the coffee industry to ensure the free flow of java at fair prices.”
“This is just another one of our heroic Democrat efforts to protect Americans from the impact of the Bush economic policies,” said Rep. Pelosi. “Under this president, America has become a cold and desolate place where corporations cut unprofitable activities to focus on increasing the bottom line, and returning value to shareholders. When Democrats retake the White House next year, we will reverse that trend.”

:D :D ;D
that means its a joke!

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cam-

Can you make this thread a sticky??? And stop going OT on this thread. :) Bad moderator...bad, bad, mod...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts