SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,476 Posts
Reaction score
Started reading your article, but stopped when the spelling and grammar errors got to be too annoying. What I will tolerate in private conversation, or even on a forum like this, I will not tolerate from a commercial website. If you wish to do business with me then your sales pitch must not distract me with grammatical errors.

If English is not your native language, as I suspect it is not, then I would suggest that you should get some translation assistance.

Good luck to you.

· Registered
1,476 Posts
Reaction score
I'm not going to itemize all of the errors. It's not like I suggested that no one else should read the articles, because of the grammatical errors. I just said that they were too distracting for me (though I doubt that I am completely alone in that).

I was simply trying to offer some helpful advice to the proprietor of that website. I think his business will do better if he (or she) spends the money for a proper translation. But in the end, it is entirely his choice.

· Registered
1,476 Posts
Reaction score
...reality is if you want to market yourself to an English speaking audience then you need to get it right.
Exactly. As I said, casual conversation, or a forum like this, is a whole different matter. In those cases I am ready, willing, and able to make a great deal of allowance for the language barriers that inevitably come up, given the global nature of the internet. People who will not make those kind of allowances are just being arrogant and intolerant.

But when you are trying to sell your product it is completely different. Then you need to be willing to spend the money for a proper translation to whatever language your target audience may be. That applies to everyone. I have absolutely no tolerance for American businesses that think the whole world should be speaking English, or who think that someone with a high-school education in Spanish is good enough to do their translations for both the Spain and South American markets.

If you are trying to sell to people in Brazil, as an example, then you had darned well better get your message properly translated into the Brazilian dialect of Portuguese, most preferably by someone who is from Brazil. You cannot just assume that a translation that is good enough for Portugal must be good enough for Brazil. If you are too cheap and/or lazy to do that, then your business will probably fail, and it will be entirely your own fault.

And with that I will get off of my soap-box. I apologize to SailBeat for getting this thread off track. Nonetheless, SailBeat, if you want your business to succeed, I think you need to take some of the advice here to heart. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.