SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The windspeed sender on out Newport 30 is squeaking anytime the wind is over 5 knots. It's driving me mad...Has anyone got any ideas for stopping it without climbing the mast or taking the mast down? I have suggested to my other half, shooting it (The boat is in the Bay Area so that's not strictly legal) Buying a monkey and training it to use a wrench, or even shooting Silly String to stop it going around.
Baz:(

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
It must really whine at 30 knots on a summer day? Unfortunately some one will need to go up. Unless you feel lucky throwing something over it, and yanking it down. Then again that may cause more problems then the one you want to fix.....yep someone needs to go up the stick......i2f

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, all day and all night at the moment. I would like to purchase a ATN Topclimber, but they are a bit expensive, I guess I'm going to have to pay a rigger to take care of it.
Baz

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Buy the topclimber and take care of it yourself. Hiring a rigger to do this a few times will pay for the topclimber, and you need to get familiar with going up the stick yourself.

·
Old Fart
514 Posts
Climbing the mast with the help of another isn't hard at all. Just use your main halyard attached to a bosun's chair and with the help of your main winch let someone winch you up. You can help in several ways not the least is pulling on the halyard yourself. You can also bear hug the mast and climb it as if you were trying to climb a light pole but that is a bit harder. Always attach another halyard to a safety harness you are wearing and have the helper also take it up the slack as you go up. I've been up my 50 foot mast several times and I find it a bit exciting each time.

Of course what are you going to do when you get up there. That is, what are you going to use to lubricate the wind speed sensor? I can tell you what not to use and that is WD40. I lubed mine with that and all it did was collect dust to the point that soon enough it froze up completely. :mad:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The boat in question is my girlfriends and the main halyard, wire to rope, is worn on part of the rope part, so I would not trust it at all. I'm afraid climbing a greasy pole is past me! I'm on the lookout for a slightly used topclimber

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
YOu can basically make something very similar by going to the local climbing gear store, like REI or EMS, and getting a good Petzl harness, two ascenders and some webbing.
The boat in question is my girlfriends and the main halyard, wire to rope, is worn on part of the rope part, so I would not trust it at all. I'm afraid climbing a greasy pole is past me! I'm on the lookout for a slightly used topclimber

1 - 8 of 8 Posts