SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been struggling with storing my drop-boards for a while, I was wondering if anyone had a clever way to store them out of the way? I've got a fairly large companionway so 4 boards, one of which is lexan and fairly heavy. Right now I drop them in a deep cockpit locker, have to climb in there to get them out ... gets old doing this several times a day.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have been struggling with storing my drop-boards for a while, I was wondering if anyone had a clever way to store them out of the way? I've got a fairly large companionway so 4 boards, one of which is lexan and fairly heavy. Right now I drop them in a deep cockpit locker, have to climb in there to get them out ... gets old doing this several times a day.
Mine go in the salon, underneath a settee cushion -- out of the way, not falling on anybody's toes, and not crashing around sliding below.

·
19,488 Posts
If they fit into your cockpit locker, (apparently they do) do you have space on the inside of the cockpit wall to make a rack (or a canvas bag) so they are hanging just below the lid?

Alternatively will they fit in a sleeve attached to the underside of the cockpit locker lid itself?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I keep mine in a canvas slide wallet if you will. It is essentially a sewn canvas pouch with two internal canvas dividers inside giving 4 pockets inside the pouch. This allows me to safely store two slides and two screened slides. Mine are varnished mahogany and the canvas pouch helps protect the finish.

Sorry I don't have a photo to share. Easy to sew and no major costs to make one.

Good luck,

Regards, John

·
Retired and happy
228 Posts
I keep them at the forward end of the quarterberth along with some storage boxes which helps to keep them safely stowed. I've often wondered about something more customized, but never got round to it. Too many other tasks on the list.......

Stuart

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
I toss the two boards on the back rear state room cushions.

I have seen a 36' version of my 30'r, where that owner put is boards bungy'd to the side of the motor compartment, again going into the rear state room.

Marty

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
My boards are stored horizontally behind the salon setees and above the storage area in custom made wooden hanging brackets. They are out of site, don't interfere with storage, and are easily retrieved.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Sabre installs a nice plywood holder inside the cockpit locker. The boards are stacked one upon another with the top board on the outside. The group of three boards (in my case) is set inside the holder such that the long ends are vertical. For instance, each board is something like 6"x20"x3/4". Stacked upon each other it's 6"x20"x2 1/4". They're rotated 90 degrees to vertical and dropped into a plywood holder just inside the locker that has an opening about 7"x11"x3"

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good ideas, I think the canvas bag idea might work best. There is room in the locker to mount something like that or maybe even a wooden board-holder. It's a little tricky because I also use this locker for access to the engine and other things, so sometimes I have to remove everything in it to make work easier. Any pictures of your board holders would be very helpful!

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Not such a good idea, since dropboards tend to be heavy, and it could come free by accident. If you want it to be removable, attach it to the locker back with a piece of boltrope and small length of track.

just put some snaps on the back of the bag so its easily removed.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,241 Posts
Install a plastic coated wire rack, large enough to hold the stacked boards, on the inside of your cockpit locker. Locate the rack so you can open the hatch cover and drop the boards right into it (i.e. on the bulkhead the locker shares with the cockpit side). This storage keeps the boards both very accessible but out ot the way.

If you put the boards in a cloth laundry bag before you drop them in the rack, they won't get scratched up over time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I place mine under the settee cushions too, which are over the water tanks. So they dont affect storage access. Just added a small "lip" to prevent them from sliding from under the cushions while sailing.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Our Beneteau came with a two little u-shaped plastic covered fittings about 4 inches long on the floor of the lazarette next to the bulkhead, and a shock cord set up so that they are kept neatly in place. Very convenient and it has worked very well.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I put'um in a canvas pouch that has 3 pockets and closes with velcro, then they just get stowed on the 1/4 berth wall unit

·
ancient mariner
439 Posts
drop board stowage

mine are slipped into a 3 compartment canvas pouch & put in the cockpit locker. i have a hinged screen door with a plastic cover that snaps on in foul weather. the door is slid in place where the drop boards were so i don't have to use the drop boards again till i lock up the boat.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
i just throw them on the quarter berth but i like some ways talked about here. but i am making some lexan ones in the spring so i will be using one of the above ideas

1 - 20 of 21 Posts