SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the 50' aluminum mast off the boat and set horizontally on 6 saw horses about every 8 feet or so on center. the mast is sanded and ready for primer. I am looking for ideas to support the mast on either end so I can apply the primer and eventually paint in one even application. That is for each coat I do not want to work around the saw horses each time then go back and paint the areas around the saw horses. I would like to have one continuous coat of primer or paint each time it is applied to the mast. Is there a good way to support the mast to be able to apply the primer and paint in one continuous coat each time? I plan to put on about four coats of primer and two coats of paint via the roll and tip method.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A thought....assuming your mast, like so many others, has an integral slot/track for the mainsail, could you rig some way to suspend the mast under the sawhorses using that track? I don't know if the weight of your mast would prohibit such a solution, but I visualize this as a possibility. I can already imagine doing this with my mast, but then mine is only 24 feet.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
A round piece of tubing screwed to a saw horse inserted into the base so it can spin. Cut a v-notch into the other saw horse to keep it in place when it spins. Paint and spin. Start at the top where people won't see it. By the time you reach the base, you'll Rembrant. Once it cures, finish the top foot that you could't paint before. You'll be so good by now, people will never be able to see the transition from the deck!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I had this exact problem a few years ago when I repainted our spars. I removed the sail track so there was no way to use that to suspend. Fortunately this mast had tball fittings for the tops of the shrouds. I simply used the largest piece of all-thread I could find to stick through and then suspended it between two saw horses. the base was supported with a stand that was inserted in the end. Just these two supports were enough for a 53' mast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.