SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1975 Newport 28
1986 Hunter 31
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first boat two years ago, and rather than a basic white hull, it is a shiny navy blue. I know nothing about marine paint and finishes. Is it more likely to be a gelcoat or an awlgrip-type finish?

Sorry about the total ignorance, but there are a few scratches I'd like to try to fix, but I don't have the slightest idea where to begin.

Thanks for any and all advice!

·
1975 Newport 28
1986 Hunter 31
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely a paint job Jas.
Well, yeah, I figured it's paint. But like I said, I know nothing about marine finishes -- is awlgrip a paint or something else, and where does gelcoat come into it?

Or do you mean that I have neither, and that it's just paint over fiberglass?

Thanks again! :eek:

·
1975 Newport 28
1986 Hunter 31
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what I've probably got is just paint over the gelcoat?

Have pity on me, I know NOTHING about marine finishes. I'm better off with the woodwork, at least I know something about varnishes. Fiberglass -- not so much.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,241 Posts
As Cam has said, a boat with a "shiny navy blue" is most likely painted, if the hull were still gel coat, you would describe it as "dull navy blue" unless you had waxed it in the last 45 days. Boats with shiny colored hulls are painted boats.

It is an interesting question, tho as to how to tell a painted boat, say if a boat is white...I guess you can usually find some wear-n-tear where the undercoat is visible, or you can find paint ridges around fixtures or the boottop, as you can with most car repairs.

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Yup...now you got it Jas...paint over the original gelcoat. Now paint can be cheap 1 part paint or a 2 part paint which is mixed before application and dries into a hard shell finish much like a cars. Quite Expensive! That is what Awlgrip is. Imron is another brand and there is AwlCraft as well. There is no real good way to fix any of these but the Awlcraft is the most robust for buffing stuff out according to MaineSail. However...it is unlikely that you have Awlcraft. Never try to buff the other two and never use ANY wax products on any of them. Awlcare only...and only by hand.
Here's a link to Awlgrip/craft colors for matching purposes.http://tinyurl.com/c73rs7http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/woeimages/paints/large/awlgripchart.jpg

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,241 Posts
FWIW I've been waxing and buffing my Imron painted hull for 10 years and it cleans up and looks excellent, since its white you really can't see the the minor road wear thehull has accumulated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts