SailNet Community banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
OK you Docs, please explain something to me.

Why would you want to isolate folks who have recovered and “tested negative.”? Maybe I don’t know what tested negative means.

https://fortune.com/2020/04/17/singapore-cruise-ships-workers-coronavirus/amp/
From what I've been reading, some people who tested negative soon after recovery tested positive again shortly thereafter.
It may be that this virus does not lead to immunity after infection. That means they could become carriers and spread the virus without showing signs of infection.

·
Registered
93 Posts
OK you Docs, please explain something to me.

Why would you want to isolate folks who have recovered and “tested negative.”? Maybe I don’t know what tested negative means.

https://fortune.com/2020/04/17/singapore-cruise-ships-workers-coronavirus/amp/
I think this it the take away that is driving the more to housing the migrant workers on cruise ships:

"With about 10 people sharing a single room, according to Singapore charities that support migrant workers, the crowded conditions at dormitories have emerged as one of Singapore’s biggest challenges in its fight to contain the spread of the coronavirus."

Interesting, Singapore is also doing the following for these migrant workers:

• Salaries - they will continue to be paid salaries for the duration of the quarantine. The period of absence from work will be treated as paid hospitalisation leave.
  • Daily needs will be provided – three meals a day by professional caterers, reusable masks, thermometers, hand sanitisers, and other essentials.
  • Medical - Onsite medical support has been deployed to support the workers in both dormitories.
Jim

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
From what I've been reading, some people who tested negative soon after recovery tested positive again shortly thereafter.
It may be that this virus does not lead to immunity after infection. That means they could become carriers and spread the virus without showing signs of infection.
I kind of thought that’s was where it was going also, but I’m just not sure.

If so it starts to sound a bit like a leper’s colony.

And why only for foreign workers? Other than they are in a lower caste, not citizens.

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
I kind of thought that’s was where it was going also, but I’m just not sure.

And why only for foreign workers? Other than they are in a lower caste, not citizens.
Perhaps they have housing for citizens, but not for foreign workers? Perhaps they need to be separated for their own protection?
There have been a few locals that seem to resent our presence here, now.
Fortunately, patient zero came here from the UK with the virus, so Americans aren't being blamed specifically, but those ashore still call it a white mans' disease.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Capta,

For what ever reason we are not getting that here in Dominica. Maybe because we are few and in one location and are all being VERY careful to respect regulations.

Also the Health Minister made some reassuring remarks about us. Maybe because we reached out to her and let her know we wanted to help.

·
Registered
93 Posts

I believe that the answer is in what I posted in my previous post: "10 people sharing a single room" appears to be the norm for migrant worker dormitories.

Overcrowding in migrant worker housing, appears to be a leading cause of new cases of the disease in Singapore. Having only 2 people in a single room sharing a toilet is much better from a disease prevention/containment scenario.

Jim

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I believe that the answer is in what I posted in my previous post: "10 people sharing a single room" appears to be the norm for migrant worker dormitories.

Overcrowding in migrant worker housing, appears to be a leading cause of new cases of the disease in Singapore. Having only 2 people in a single room sharing a toilet is much better from a disease prevention/containment scenario.

Jim
Not convinced that those are mutually exclusive.

We really want Captas answer to be wrong. If not then no herd immunity, that is not good. And then one must ask, what is China doing with those infected?

We will know soon enough if t his goes wrong.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts