SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The vertical furring strips on our main cabin bulkhead are separating from the fiberglass underneath. I'd like to reaffix them without removing the strips themselves -- maybe sliding some adhesive behind them and pressing them back in place. What would you all recommend I use?

Background: The boat is a 29-foot 1965 sloop designed by Bill Tripp and built in Amsterdam that is similar to a Pearson Triton. I believe that the bulkhead itself is polyester resin but I don't know enough yet to know. Perhaps someone here can confirm based on the date of the boat and the location of the build.

Here is a photograph of the area I'm talking about...you can see the strips below the table, but they cover the entire aft side of the bulkhead.
Brown Property Motor vehicle Vehicle Interior design
 

·
Barquito
Joined
·
3,737 Posts
The bulkheads aren't wood? Regardless, I would tug on them a little to see if they pop off easily. If not, maybe inject a some slightly thickened epoxy with a long tipped syringe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
More likely after you try all sort of shortcuts will need to consider couple of facts
1) are you planning to keep this boat for a while and want to make her "yours"
if the answer is yes, then you need to do it the right way,
find the cause of why the paneling (they are not furring strips)is stripping out, moisture?flexing of the fiberglass surface?
The extra work will pay handsomely and will make you proud, your boat is a beauty and deserves it.
And then is the other way
good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,915 Posts
The main bulkhead on our J/36 was fiberglass with a veneer over it. On a boat built in 1965 the OP's glue may be failing, finally, or the boat may simply have been flexed enough to have it pop off. Re-gluing would seem to be the right answer. It held up for the first 55 or so years, so another dose should probably last at least another 40. The tricky part will be keeping the slats tight against the bulkhead while the glue sets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,977 Posts
The tricky part will be keeping the slats tight against the bulkhead while the glue sets.
Many of the construction adhesives similar to the one I posted have instant grab. The one I posted does not, but there are others that do.

I've been impressed with the new (to me) construction adhesives. I've always ignored them and thought they were all 1970's Liquid Nails. I was caught in a lurch once needed something to stick some mounting blocks to the hull and took a shot on a Locktite brand polyurethane construction adhesive. Cheap, easy, and it worked very well. Since then, I've used several of them for different things and haven't had any failures yet.

Heck, we have a 35lb watermaker pressure vessel assembly stuck to the side of the hull with two 4" beads of the stuff.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The main bulkhead on our J/36 was fiberglass with a veneer over it. On a boat built in 1965 the OP's glue may be failing, finally, or the boat may simply have been flexed enough to have it pop off. Re-gluing would seem to be the right answer. It held up for the first 55 or so years, so another dose should probably last at least another 40. The tricky part will be keeping the slats tight against the bulkhead while the glue sets.
Yes, I believe that is what we have too. I'll be at the boat tomorrow and will inspect. My gut was exactly as you say, after 55 years the glue failed or something similar. There is no sign of any leaks but I'll look hard for them. I guess I'll have to rig some kind of prop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many of the construction adhesives similar to the one I posted have instant grab. The one I posted does not, but there are others that do.

I've been impressed with the new (to me) construction adhesives. I've always ignored them and thought they were all 1970's Liquid Nails. I was caught in a lurch once needed something to stick some mounting blocks to the hull and took a shot on a Locktite brand polyurethane construction adhesive. Cheap, easy, and it worked very well. Since then, I've used several of them for different things and haven't had any failures yet.

Heck, we have a 35lb watermaker pressure vessel assembly stuck to the side of the hull with two 4" beads of the stuff.

Mark
Mark, I'm going to pick up some of the Loctite tomorrow and give it a shot. Thank you for the tip.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top