SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have been on here reading for a few weeks now and decided to register.

A bit about myself. Soon to be 52, living in the Bighorn Basin in Wyoming.

I grew up on the Columbia river, Up until a few years ago I always lived by water.

Experienced power boater, in fact I have owned more watercraft than autos.

Years ago I had a chance to try a pram, fell in love with it. But life got in the way and have not tried sailing since then, but in the back of my mind I have always felt the pull of a sail.

I am now at the point in my life that I go for it.

So I have started to look for a towable boat, something like a cat 22. Something that I can learn how to sail well. there are a few lakes around, and Wyoming is not short on wind. My "life plan" is to be closer to salt water in 3ish years, then step up to a bigger boat.

Anyway, thanks to all for the wealth of info that I have read in the last few weeks.

And if anyone knows of a boat in the region that can be had for a good price lit me know. I have all winter to work on one, so a turn key boat is not a must.

Thanks

Scott

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
Welcome to SN Scott. Good luck on your search for a boat, I think I've seen a couple of those on Craigslist here in W. WA, not sure about your neck of the woods. Your lakes must be kind of hard this time of year, eh?

·
19,489 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Welcome aboard! If you have the ability to tow a trailer, you will be more successful if you spread your search distance. Wouldn't it be funny to be towing a sailboat over a Rocky Mountain pass in the winter? Only in the best weather, of course, but passing all the skiers and climbers would turn some heads.

I would also highly suggest some professional lessons. Sailing is not difficult, particularly the part about making the boat move. However, it can be very frustrating to pick up on your own and you can accidentally pick up some very bad habits.

One way to get the winter sailing fix and prep for your new boat is to take one of the week long Caribbean live aboard sailing school courses. Getting out of Wyoming in the winter for a week is probably a nice break too. You would come home fully capable of sailing a trailer sailer.

·
aka $tingy Sailor
104 Posts
Hi, Scott

Welcome! I bit the bullet last Spring myself and purchased my first boat, a C22. I sail her in North Idaho. The first mate and I are from Montana, so not far from your "neighborhood."

I worked on her all Summer when we weren't sailing and I'm now in the middle of several major projects over the Winter. I got some good ideas here, as I'm sure you will too. If you're interested in seeing what it takes to transform a tired, 32 year old C22 into a gem without taking out a second mortgage, stop by stingysailor.wordpress.com and see the progress. Leave comments if you like and follow along with email alerts of new posts by clicking the Follow button. Maybe you'll get some inspiration for your own boat when you get one.

Happy hunting and hope to see you around here often.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome

There are a few within 500 miles on CL, one just over the mountain, I may go over and look at it, but I won't buy till spring or at least buy from somewhere that is not frozen. I bet any wet spongy areas on a boat right now, will feel real solid.

Again, thanks

Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts