SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo, I'm a total fish out of water here. I just moved to Saint Simons Island and have never been sailing. :eek:

But have wanted to for years, alas, life sometimes delays those plans.

I'm on the coast now! But I'm not sure where to begin. I've got an Advanced Open Water scuba certification, but as far as ocean activities, that's about all I know. That, and tying a hammock between 2 trees.

I'm from Arkansas, which has a limited number of Oceans, and I've been beach bound since I can remember. I think I was supposed to be born on an island but someone upstairs screwed up.

I've been around the world, taught English in Taiwan, came aboard a Superyacht there by meeting some blokes that were deckhands. Not really interested in a Superyacht, but a deckhand, absolutely.

Proficient in several extreme sports, love to travel, fancy myself an adventurer. I'm 33, fairly fresh out of grad school and need a break and really just want to get my hands dirty.

I'd say I'm a strapping lad, haha, and happily work my ass off if it's required.

But I'm not a rich man, and have kind of put my intended career on hold (Interactive Design and Human Computer Interaction) and want to get away from glowing rectangles for a while.

I've no idea where to start.

There's Saint Simons Marina and I thought that could be a good start. Drop by and say hi. Ask if anything needs to be scrubbed.

Ha, I don't really know what a guy like me without a boat and without any sailing experience should do, ask for, go. But I figured joining this forum could be a start.

Basically, I'm willing to be grunt, help out, maybe find someone to show me the ropes (pun intended).

I believe there's a ASA 101 Basic Sailing class in October at Dunbar Sales which I could probably afford but I'm also not averse to any non-traditional ways to get started. I guess in my head I'm looking for a Mr. Miagi of sailing, but maybe I watch too much TV.

Anyway, just sayin' hi and if anyone has any tips for a total noob, that would be awesome.

Thanks!

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,036 Posts
Spent 2 nights at Golden Isle Marina, but that's the extent of my knowledge of the area. Believe Brunswick isn't that far away though. I'd recommend going around to the area marina's and if they have some kind of bulletin board, post some contact info and say you're available as inexperienced crew. Also keep an eye out for free copies of local sailing mags for crew wanted ads. Also, check your local library for sailing books

Though you supplied a lot of info, I don't get a sense of where you want to go with this. Are you basically just trying to find out if you will like sailing? Or something more definite, such as boat ownership?

Best of luck though, and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Though you supplied a lot of info, I don't get a sense of where you want to go with this. Are you basically just trying to find out if you will like sailing? Or something more definite, such as boat ownership?

Best of luck though, and welcome aboard.
Thanks, good advice.

I'd say more of a fun hobby to get out and meet people, and just be physically active. And yessir, to see if I like it. Might not, but I doubt it.

But I'm recently single, no kids, and so no attachments. If I ended up sailing around the world for 8 months, I would be ok with that.

I know that sounds lofty, but going where the road takes me has more or less been the story of my life.

Less boat ownership at the moment and more skill ownership.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,036 Posts
If you're pretty sure you want to pursue sailing, then I'd definitely suggest reading as much as you can find on the mechanics of sailing and boat maintenance. And though reading is not a substitute for doing, it can help prepare you for any opportunities that do arise.

If you can afford it, go ahead and do the ASA course. The more foundation you have, the greater the crewing opportunities, especially if you're able to be away for extended periods of time.

Reactions: johnnyyukon
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.