SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Reaction score
Spent 2 nights at Golden Isle Marina, but that's the extent of my knowledge of the area. Believe Brunswick isn't that far away though. I'd recommend going around to the area marina's and if they have some kind of bulletin board, post some contact info and say you're available as inexperienced crew. Also keep an eye out for free copies of local sailing mags for crew wanted ads. Also, check your local library for sailing books

Though you supplied a lot of info, I don't get a sense of where you want to go with this. Are you basically just trying to find out if you will like sailing? Or something more definite, such as boat ownership?

Best of luck though, and welcome aboard.

· Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Reaction score
If you're pretty sure you want to pursue sailing, then I'd definitely suggest reading as much as you can find on the mechanics of sailing and boat maintenance. And though reading is not a substitute for doing, it can help prepare you for any opportunities that do arise.

If you can afford it, go ahead and do the ASA course. The more foundation you have, the greater the crewing opportunities, especially if you're able to be away for extended periods of time.

Reactions: johnnyyukon
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.