SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a newbie to this and all online forums and to sailing as well. I've been sailing a Sunfish for a couple of years. Love it! Anyway, I'm considering a DC-15 and was wondering if anyone has had experience sailing one. The sail area to weight ratio seems to indicate it should be fast..but how stable? It appears that this boat was made in two styles: one with molded in seating area (shadow model) and one with just gunwhale seating like a vanguard 15. I didn't see any hiking straps either? I know Howmar has been out of business for quite awhile as well. Plan on sailing with my young sons 22 and 24 and sometimes with my wife (age 57) mostly in the lower James River in Virginia.. Can the mainsail be reefed? Any experiences especially regarding capsize/recovery would be appreciated.

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
Hey.. good timing.. I just bought a DC 15 two weeks ago.

Not sure how stable it is... since I haven't been out, but the fact that it can plane means it should be fast..
I have a scanned in manual if you like (private message me your e-mail)

also -- this guy should be helpful with How to (https://www.youtube.com/user/wmichaelcook59)

You should be able to reef the main, some come with hiking straps, some do not... like any option, some buyers said yes, some did not. I have the seating area one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks titustiger27. Nice pic. Can't private message until after 5 posts. This is no.2. Kinda busy right now. Hope to get a look at The DC-15 I'm interested in this weekend. It has a new FX mainsail and a fairly new jib but a crappy trailer. Also considering a Snipe which is still manufactured.

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
Thanks titustiger27. Nice pic. Can't private message until after 5 posts. This is no.2. Kinda busy right now. Hope to get a look at The DC-15 I'm interested in this weekend. It has a new FX mainsail and a fairly new jib but a crappy trailer. Also considering a Snipe which is still manufactured.
Hopefully my PM to you works... or just my user name at gmail.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts