SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Designers Choice 15 and I need a mainsail. Anyone have on for sale? In the event I need to order one, can the sailboat data.com measurements be reliable for this boat, as it was only made for a few years.

Also on my needs lists:
-anyone have pictures of their designers choice so I can see examples of the rigging or customization?
-I have a soft spot on the deck to repair, near the mast step.
-there are no brackets for the hiking straps. Thoughts on where and how to add them?
-anyone have the spinnaker?

I am new to sailing, so I'm trying to learn a lot here. Thanks!

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
I recently bought a Designers Choice 15 and I need a mainsail. Anyone have on for sale? In the event I need to order one, can the sailboat data.com measurements be reliable for this boat, as it was only made for a few years.

Also on my needs lists:
-anyone have pictures of their designers choice so I can see examples of the rigging or customization?
-I have a soft spot on the deck to repair, near the mast step.
-there are no brackets for the hiking straps. Thoughts on where and how to add them?
-anyone have the spinnaker?

I am new to sailing, so I'm trying to learn a lot here. Thanks!
I would guess most people with a DC15 are looking for sails, more than they are thinking of selling them. I look at ads for DC15s and other boats to see if I could get the boat, so I can get less used sails than what I have

You might want to take a look at
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailboat-design-construction/21131-designers-choice-howmar-info-needed-please.html

lots of info for you there

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
Found this real fast Designers Choice 15 Mainsail - SLO Sail and Canvas

You also might try Sailrite and have them build you a kit and sew it your self. I just did a jib and a main for the boat that I built the main was 60sq ft, yours is only about 48sf. Very easy to do and not a lot of time and came out beautiful. The main took me about 2 days to build.
I avoided the google search....

When I got my DC15 I looked at your link and others and realized that if I replaced my sails that way, it would double the price of my boat.. if not more (I paid $1,000+, but that included a brand new trailer).

It's one of the conundrums of old sailboats.. do you buy $1,000 worth of sail for a $300 hull. Unless you are racing, not sure if you would...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I purchased a main, jib, and asymmetrical spin from Far East Sails. They work very well and modestly priced. The SLO sails look really well made but I was able to get all three sails shipped for not much more. $650 comes to mind, I did post about it if you look and posted images on this site. I kept my measurements and quote info if you are still looking at sails. Happy to send it if it will help. I am looking for a symmetrical spin if I can find one around 100 used. All the best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi...saw your post on sails. Would you mind PM’ing me your sail plans so I can keep on file?

Thanks.
Greg

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the files if you want to send your. Email. My email is my [email protected] I'll try and post the balance.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts