SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,207 Posts
Probably going to have to wait out the virus before you can get started. And even then things may not go back to where they were.
Used to be I'd pick up just about any guy or gal on the dock for deliveries and ocean crossings, but that won't ever happen with me again.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,141 Posts
Crew on OPBs and have them sign a CG719S form documenting your service.
I will also do this for people that use my AirBnB experience in RI if they ask.

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
Probably going to have to wait out the virus before you can get started. And even then things may not go back to where they were.
Used to be I'd pick up just about any guy or gal on the dock for deliveries and ocean crossings, but that won't ever happen with me again.
Capta, it’s probably helpful to disclose to the new member that you feel particularly vulnerable to the virus. They don’t know you’re well into retirement age.

We were out at anchor here all weekend. Not much to do ashore. Sailed during the day, BBQ at night. I suspect things are going to get closer to normal, faster than some think. It may be too fast, but that’s a different point.

I saw a guy getting docking lessons on his big center console. Owner and instructor, both wearing masks. However, I also saw many on the water without masks and too many to be in the same household. Restrictions have been slowly lifting here, to allow up to 15 people congregating, as of today.

·
Master Mariner
8,207 Posts
Capta, it’s probably helpful to disclose to the new member that you feel particularly vulnerable to the virus. They don’t know you’re well into retirement age.

We were out at anchor here all weekend. Not much to do ashore. Sailed during the day, BBQ at night. I suspect things are going to get closer to normal, faster than some think. It may be too fast, but that’s a different point.

I saw a guy getting docking lessons on his big center console. Owner and instructor, both wearing masks. However, I also saw many on the water without masks and too many to be in the same household. Restrictions have been slowly lifting here, to allow up to 15 people congregating, as of today.
Actually, it will probably have more to do with changing travel regulations and the vessel's responsibility for crew than C-19 directly. International diversity on crews will make travelling to some places much more difficult, for quite some time to come.
I think 'walking the docks' will be less productive for a while as well.

·
Registered
363 Posts
See if you can find a race boat or two or three to crew on. Doesn't need to be the fastest boat in town - you'll probably have more luck with the beer can crowd than "serious" racers. If you can follow directions, show up on time, help clean up the boat, and bring beverages, you'll likely be able to get out a fair bit. It's also a good way to see what a variety of other boats look like and what you do/don't like. But I agree that there is not going to be much of this until the pandemic shuts down. No way I'd be taking strangers out at this point, and the racing is all cancelled (likely for the season).

For this year, I might look for a cheap dinghy if I were you. No faster way to learn how to trim sails and make a boat go, and you would not be dependent on other people or events.

·
Administrator
8,998 Posts
Hi. I am a new sailor. What are some good ways to get more experience to add time and distance to my log book?
It would help if you mentioned where you are located. In many areas there are crew wanted lists that you can sign onto, or sailing 'clubs' that provide the opportunity to take boats out sailing. There are lots of us who routinely take people sailing and/or mentor them through the process of learning to sail or operate a boat.

Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts