SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have confirmed what I was told by the seller that on my 1966 Hinterhoeller, both hull and deck are uncored. I am curious what the implications are and how common it was for early fiberglass boats to be completely fiberglass?

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Heavier for a given thickness of deck/hull, not as stiff either, but on the upside, no core issues to worry about. Pretty common, a few companies really pioneered cored fibreglass a few years later than your boat was built.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
the only drawback for me is they can get a little flexy if old, but that is more dependant on design than core or no core

for me you have the best of the best...string and no dam core rot issues not to mention adding deck hardware is less troblesome...water migrating issues are less important...stagnant water wont rot stuff etc...

my dad had a columbia challenger for a long time and for such a small boat it was solid glass...like a tank

anywhoo

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
my '63 Sea Sprite is solid glass. The deck is a bit "Springy" and when on the trailer, it is easy to press the hull in with the jackpads.. but it pops back out without a single issue.

It is a "noisy" boat.. you hear every wave and wavelet that slaps against the hull. It also "popped" all her interior tabbing from the wood.. but other than that, it is a good boat with no serious issues.

Like people said above, no core issues is one less thing to worry about

·
Registered
170 Posts
The first cored, fiberglass boat is generally believed to be "Red Jacket" - a 40 ft, 1966 C&C.
So it would be very unlikely that your boat, built in 1966 would also have a core so soon after this.
(Now I am open to corrections if I'm wrong!)

·
Registered
966 Posts

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
The first cored, fiberglass boat is generally believed to be "Red Jacket" - a 40 ft, 1966 C&C.
So it would be very unlikely that your boat, built in 1966 would also have a core so soon after this.
(Now I am open to corrections if I'm wrong!)
Red Jacket is the first cored hull. Cored decks were common prior to that. The Pearson Triton, introduced in 1959, had balsa cored decks.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just curious. How did the o.p. confirm that his boat has solid decks?

What is the likelihood that my 1966 Pearson Wanderer (hull #5) has solid glass decks?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts