SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

My offer has been accepted. Now I have to find some one to survey her. Any suggestions around the Solomons MD area? I'm in Richmond, Va so any suggestions would be awesome...

-Thomas

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Robert A Noyce & Assoc.
(410) 263-7499

Steve Uhthoff does actual surveys (or at least did last time I checked, he is a great guy aside from doing good survey work).

·
Senior Moment
1,931 Posts
Another vote for Jack Hornor. He's also a real live naval architect.

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I acquired the services of Fred Wise of Galenda MD (410-648-5052) when I purchased my Irwin 44 in Norfolk VA in Feb 2007. He charges a little more than what the locals would but did a great job. He was very good and helped me locate many severe probems with the boat. I just wish I had more knowledge about what he found and the cost associated with them. Make sure you pay attention to the list of items that come with the boat and ensure each item is verified to be on the boat. Also make sure that all systems are verified in working order. Run the water, turn on the water heater, verify everything. Test the propane system live. I did not and have been replacing item after item at a BIG cost to me. Make sure the microwave works and the chain & rode is what is stated in the online info. Make sure that all minor parts that may be hard to fine are ID'ed. A sheeve that is no longer avaliable will be hard to find and costs a lot of money. It did in my case. Check all of the running lights, turn them on. Make sure that all items must be to spec or the deal is void. Little things combined cost a lot of money. That was my downfall. It was my first purchase and I should have been more aware. I could write a book.

Make sure that in the contract you can get out of it if these things are not up the standard.

Smarter the second time around,

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts