SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am going to have my boat painted this winter and I have been staring at the little color swatches on the Awlgrip color chart. I don't find them very helpful so I was wondering if anyone has painted their hull with any of the Awlgrip grays. If you have I would really appreciate seeing a picture of her.

If you could tell me what gray you used and any other color you used for the boot stripe that would be great. Also if there were any lessons you learned.

Thank you,

Marc
Simsbury, CT

·
19,489 Posts
We used Whisper Gray on the hull, with black boot and hull stripes on our last boat. Sorry, not the best shots.

We liked the colour in that it's kind of 'white' at a distance, but distinctly different up close to the real 'white' boats. The black stripes were chosen primarily to hide in-hull windows amidships, but coupled with the white deck (also an Awlgrip white.. the name escapes me now) it was a smart looking combo.

Reactions: Cruisingdad

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
I like that. It looks really good.

I was at West Marine the other day buying some Bilgekote.. had to laugh at the "dull dead grass" green on the shelf

·
Barquito
3,568 Posts
Fasters photos are helpful, in that, the light is from different directions in the photos. However, I think you will find that there are so many variables in what color looks like in photographs viewed on computers that the impression you have of the color on your boat could be completely different. (BTW, I dig that color, too)

·
19,489 Posts
To my eye that's Whisper Gray too... better lighting on the picture. Their other grays tend towards 'battleship'

Reactions: twohulls

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies and pictures so far.

I see what you mean if both boats are Whisper Gray they look very different in different light conditions and from different distances. I would like to see a boat with a darker gray for comparison.

Marc
Simsbury, CT

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
I would love to,paint a boat gray.. but the hull becomes almost invisible against the water in some light.. and in view of how some powerboaters are, I like to keep my boat visible

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
If a powerboater don't notice your 40 foot mast and sails a white hull might not be enough to attract their attention either.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I think the AG gray would be a good choice . I know of two other boats that have been painted wit AG, one was Forrest green it fogged white in two yrs. the other one was blood red same thing . Both were painted at the same yard . Was the yard doing something wrong ? both jobs looked flawless at first . After gray my choice would be off white or white . Also for me, it would depend on the color of the FRP in the first place.

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
That grey on SiderAL looks great. There's a boat I've seen around here with battleship grey on the hull that is not very pretty. IMO, those extra splashes of color shown in these pictures definitely add the necessary spice, but also the lighter the grey, the better; otherwise it looks too militaristic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts