SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever had one of those days where conditions were just right for sailing. Steady 15-20 knots, where you had no destination in mind?

This was one of those days on the Saint Lawrence River. I could have gone somewhere, I could have trimmed for speed but instead I decided to just go out and fly a hull.

Sailing at it's best :)

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I remember flying a hull for fun on my PDQ32/34 just for fun, on the Chesapeake, Eastern Bay. I wanted to see what she would do to weather. A nice steady breeze, a cool hand, and years of practice. About 9 knots close hauled, more on a reach. Slow compared to the 20+ my Prindle would have logged on a reach in the same conditions.

·
Super Moderator
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This boat is nothing like our Prindle for speed and acceleration. Seems to top out for me at about 11 knots before the leeward bow starts to stuff, at that point there doesn't seem to be a lot more I can do. Still, not to bad for a 12 ft boat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you ever had one of those days where conditions were just right for sailing. Steady 15-20 knots, where you had no destination in mind?

This was one of those days on the Saint Lawrence River. I could have gone somewhere, I could have trimmed for speed but instead I decided to just go out and fly a hull.

Sailing at it's best :)

Answer: yes, many, no destination, no schedule, no particular intentions, just have fun. I do hull flying days regularly as an antidote to the insane times we're living in...

The NacDaddy Zone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts