SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear reader,

I am hoping to find an overview of a ships hull with the names of the different area's and hull fittings that can be found on a hull below the waterline.

I have tired searching Google but only found examples with the terminology for above the waterline. I hope what I am looking for even exists :S
If you have information that can help me, please leave a comment in this thread.

sincerely,

Peter H.

·
19,488 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,954 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for, but the terms shouldn't be all that complicated. Things like the bottom, turn (break) of the bilge, keel, skeg and bulbous bow should be pretty much the same on any vessel.
I found it extremely difficult to find nautical terms in a translation dictionary (at the Tampa library) when I took over a Danish freighter that was 'dark' when I boarded her. It took a fair few hours in the engine room with a flashlight to get a generator up and running so I at least had lights (lys) to get everything else (water pumps, fuel pumps, steering gear, bilge pumps, galley, bridge, etc.) online. I got very lucky; as a kid I had an old pic of a Danish square rigged ship named Nord Lys (Northern Lights), from which I knew the switches labeled lys were lights, but it took a couple of days and a lot of switch flipping and masking tape labels to get her all sorted out.
I got to sail that vessel up the Orinoco and Amazon Rivers, around the Caribbean and Florida for a while. Grand fun.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Hi Peter,

Do you have a language preference? If you are Dutch and in NL you might develop a contact at Technische Hogeschule Delft. Most material will still be in English but at least you'll have some help with translation; technical vocabulary can be offputting.

In English "Introduction to Steel Shipbuilding" and the SNAME publication "Ship Design and Construction" (affectionately called 'Big Blue') are likely to be very helpful.

·
Dirt Free
2,751 Posts
You are correct, there are dozens of words describing various parts of hull below waterline and they are all contained in The Sailors Word Book by Admiral W.H. Smyth, 1867.
The book can be purchased through Algrove Publishing Limited, Almonte, Ontario.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,565 Posts
It might be helpful if you explained a little more about the purpose of your question so that the answers could be a little more specific as well. I am assuming that you using the term 'ship' loosely since this is a site devoted to sailing and therefore mostly deals with boats.

Off the top of my head, here is a quick list of random terms that a sailor or yacht designer might use for elements below the waterline (some of which also occur above the waterline and some only occur on some sailboats, but not all sailboats):

Bilge
Canoe Body
Centerboard (and associated Centerboard Trunk, Centerboard slot)
Chine
Counter
Cutlass bearing
Daggerboard
Garboard
Gudgeons
Heat exchanger (keel cooler)
Hull
Keel
Outdrive
Pintles
Propeller
Propeller aperture
Propshaft
Rabbet
Skeg
Stem
Strut
Sternpost
Rudder
Rudder post
Transducer
Thru-hull fittings (There are a long list of intake and discharge through hulls)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts