SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Yesterday I came to the troubling conclusion that my core is waterlogged and rotten.
I could not feel it as the deck of my boat is narrow and the top part of the sandwich is rather heavy. The bottom part of the sandwich is very thin on the other hand. You can jump on the deck and tap it, it will feel hard. but the wood underneath is wet like the Everglades.

I will not dig deeper into details of some of the stuff I found when I removed some of the hardware but yuck.... My boat might be shot at this point but maybe there some sort of hope... :(

Anyway:, my question regards the hull to deck joint and the weird things I have found there. The deck is fiberglassed to the hull on the inside so that makes exploration a little hard. I took a dremel and cut a piece of the bottom of the deck including a piece of the fiberglass tabbing from the deck to the flange and this is what it looks like. So the darkbrown on the lower part seems to be the fiberglass flange. I felt it with a finger and it is very smooth hard plastic feel inside, (maybe this is where the flanged cured against the mold?) and the top brown layer is the lower part of the deck sandwich. The core or what's left of it can be seen on the extreme top part of the pic. I didn't have time to take a better photo but I'm curious as to what is that empty area. There is no trace of any material there.

So does anyone knows what that void is doing there? Should iI consider filling it with an injection of 5200 in the near future? (after a more thourough exploration)

Thanks,

Florent

Attachments

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Most of the tabbing on a Columbia 29 was glassed over marine ply.
The 'wood' there is the ply, the rest is the apparently now delaminated 'glass over'.

It will really take a better pic to know.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh nice,

I have started extracting the mushy stuff myself. I'm not positive but I have the feeling mine is balsa as the grain seems to be all vertical and there is no trace of lamination. (Dry areas of the core seem to reinforce that hypothesis).

But my biggest question is about the empty void between the flange and the deck. I guess I'll get a partial answer in three days.

Florent

1 - 5 of 5 Posts