SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hunter 15 that is about 18 months old and i noticed that the forward bulkhead has a break near the bottom of it and a large cut on the side of it.
Does anyone have an idea of what could have caused these? Will they affect the structural integrity of the boat? Also does anyone know how would i go about fixing the bulkhead?

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
That's what you get for looking under the glossy skin! (Nice photos!)

The cut looks intentional. My guess is that the hull molding flexed when the gusset was added, and the gusset was cut to allow the hull to flex enough to mate to the deck molding.

You are probably fine as it is, but the gusset was in there for a purpose. If you can reach the area, you could add an epoxy "bandage" across the cut and the broken fin. It would improve hull stiffness a bit. If you can't reach it, smile. The desk molding is probably adding all the stiffness you really need.

·
Freedom isn't free
2,949 Posts
That doesn't look cut to me... it looks like an impact somehow... you'd think the exterior would show signs of it though. I agree that you could expoxy a layer onto it to reinforce it though.

Otherwise I'm actually shocked at the amount of exposed lumber... I'd want to get all that mold off of the wood, perhaps bleach it down some then let it all dry out, then come back and epoxy it all back up while repairing that cracked section.

I am trying real hard not to make comments on build quality, but that's a pretty big compromise in a nearly new boat. Do I think the boats falling apart? NO... but a boat that old you'd think would not have a glaring issue like that.... it at least appears structural.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I suppose opinions can differ. From my work with laminates, I'd say that this:

.. is a saw cut. The near end of the cut is spread, showing how the hull had to be flexed to meet the deck. A crack would be white back from the opening and VERY irregular. The break on the side of the circular access (??) hole, on the other hand, IS a break. You can see the shattered strands of fiberglass.

Build quality? It's not what I would put on my front porch, but, for buried structural f/b work, it's functional. The tabbing seems pretty well saturated with resin, and the radius's are reasonable. I would be happier if it were cloth rather than mat and chopper gun, but I'm not running the factory.

The bottom line is, is it holding up in service? Only the OP can answer that. Why was he looking in there? Was there excess flex?

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Looks to me that it was cut and forced open to fit the deck. What is the life expectancy of the plywood inside the tabbing.? Patching the area (if you can get at it ) would be good if it helps to seal stuff and would stiffen the flex issue too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't looking to find the bulkhead like this. I saw it because the hull deck joint split open and i decided to look inside. I would like to know what the life expectancy of the plywood is since i already see mold on it and possibly rot and its not sealed with fiberglass.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
that looks cut to me. hull/ deck joint came apart after 18 months? does it have a warranty? or is Hunters warranty void because you put the boat in water.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After a few weeks of talking with their warranty department who told me the warranty was void because of time and usage. I just spoke with Eddie from Hunters service department. He is going to get me the materials to do the work myself to the boat and has given me information about the bulkhead. The break near the bottom was not supposed to happen but the cut to the side is intentional. It allows the hull to flex so it can line up with the deck. I have about 5 years of experience fixing sailboats so i should be fine to fix this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts