SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have sailed on numerous boats in the midwest. We're looking to purchase our first boat for daysailing. We've found that sailing on friend's boats is more fun than shopping for one of our own. We have been able to compare many brands, sizes and models. Now, we're ready to spend our own money.
We've located a 24 year old ODay 26 in pristine condition. It's been well cared for and has much new equipment. (rigging, sails, electronics,ob and bottom job) The price is right, too.
We've sailed a 13 year old Hunter 270. Again, well cared for but original sails, rigging etc. (new bottom job 5/09) The Hunter is double the money and no aft stay.
We welcome firsthand feedback on these models.

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
I love my O'day 272 and am familiar with the 26.

Assuming the Hunter also has a tiller and outboard, I think they came in several varieties, and for 1/2 the price, when faced with a similar situation I went O'day.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
continued....

Hey, Thanks,
While the ODay is older and cheaper, the Hunter is loaded with goodies like cockpit cushions, bimini, stern seats and fresh bottom paint. Both are wheel boats and both have wing keels and o/b.
I've studied the B&R rigging and am satified that I can live without a backstay. This site has been invaluable to me.
We're still looking at other boats, but leaning towards the Hunter 270.
Thanks again. Dave

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
If you are sure the Hunter will meet your needs over the next decade or so the additional investment could be worth it.

No back stay on a boat larger than 20ft is unusual, but I imagine it makes things convenient for the bimini!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts