SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a 2007 Hunter 31, it surveyed well but the surveyor noticed a slightly twisted keel at the bottom trailing edge. There isn't any signs of a grounding, he thinks it may have been stored off center at one time. We only motored during the sea trail as the sails were not on the boat. I am a fairly new sailor so I don't think I will notice a difference sailing but my concerns are possible cost to correct or when I go to sell buyers will be turned off.

·
One of None
8,219 Posts
Wing keel. Y'all should be looking inside for cracked grid and or stringers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The surveyor did look at the grid inside, no signs of stress. I will say I find it a little hard to believe that the keel could bend but no stress is evident inside.

·
One of None
8,219 Posts
The hull flexed most likely because the boat was tilted when it was in storage over the long term. It was just enough to put that slight twist into keel stub. It may return to its original position eventually

·
Registered
827 Posts
I'm curious as to why there appears to be a bulge on the starboard side of the keel where the fin meets the wing. I'm wondering if it might not be a slight defect in the keel mold and the boat left the factory as it is now. I doubt it's going to make much difference in the way the boat sails or motors but could make a difference in resale value. How much loss of value is totally dependent on the buyer. Do you think it's a deal breaker ???? If you have reservations now is the time to get out. Stored off center doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless the yards in your neck of the woods are just totally incompetent. If that's the case I believe I would be looking for a boat from a different area.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I’d imagine the rudder would hit before the wing keel if it was a grounding, was it carefully checked?

·
Registered
24,193 Posts
Are we talking about the lower trailing edge being bent? Iron keel? Tell the seller to have it bent back. If the surveyor is clear there is no structural damage, I would not think that would be a super tough fix. It would likely need to be faired and ground and painted again, after some brute force correction. Although, I am skeptical there is no damage to the keel seam/bolts or structure.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Its very hard for me to believe that the keel was bent without doing damage to the boat.... It seems more likely to have been bent during casting, and they put it on anyway at the factory.....

·
One of None
8,219 Posts
I keep looking at the picture unless people are getting different resolution than me, it doesn't look twisted.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I also would want to know what the bulge on the starboard side is , where the fin joins the keel. ( some sort of repair? )

Also, What is that keel resting on? There's a wedge cut out of the block of wood. Is it sitting on the fin? Shouldn't it sit on the keel ?

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I also would want to know what the bulge on the starboard side is , where the fin joins the keel. ( some sort of repair? )

Also, What is that keel resting on? There's a wedge cut out of the block of wood. Is it sitting on the fin? Shouldn't it sit on the keel ?
the "bulge" is a reflection.... hard to tell what is going on in the photo.. I can;'t identify most of the things I see.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
the "bulge" is a reflection.... hard to tell what is going on in the photo.. I can;'t identify most of the things I see.
Yes, I see that now, when I blow up the photo. I can also see that the " Wedge" that I thought I saw in the wood blocking is also a shadow. The keel is stitting correctly on the block.

As far as the bent trailing edge is concerned, I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
As long as the surveyor carefully looked as the bilge area and found no signs of hard grounding or structural damage, I would be inclined to not be too concerned about this as long as the rest of the survey showed no serious problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree. Brute force fix. But you will never sell the boat without getting it done, so make the current seller responsible.
Are we talking about the lower trailing edge being bent? Iron keel? Tell the seller to have it bent back. If the surveyor is clear there is no structural damage, I would not think that would be a super tough fix. It would likely need to be faired and ground and painted again, after some brute force correction. Although, I am skeptical there is no damage to the keel seam/bolts or structure.

·
Dirt Free
2,899 Posts
I am considering a 2007 Hunter 31, it surveyed well but the surveyor noticed a slightly twisted keel at the bottom trailing edge. There isn't any signs of a grounding, he thinks it may have been stored off center at one time. We only motored during the sea trail as the sails were not on the boat. I am a fairly new sailor so I don't think I will notice a difference sailing but my concerns are possible cost to correct or when I go to sell buyers will be turned off.
If you are talking about the circled area of this lead keel. Two mallets and a heat gun will straighten it. No big deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
827 Posts
If you are talking about the circled area of this lead keel. Two mallets and a heat gun will straighten it. No big deal.
Pretty sure that's a cast iron keel and will take significant amount of heat to get the iron pliable enough to shape it. Some things are best left alone.

·
Dirt Free
2,899 Posts
Pretty sure that's a cast iron keel and will take significant amount of heat to get the iron pliable enough to shape it. Some things are best left alone.
Could be, depends on the year.

·
Dirt Free
2,899 Posts
Seems like 2007 was the transition back to Iron until Marlowe took over so it may actually depend on the month of production. I just assumed all 2007 models had the cast iron keel.
I think it would take a helluva bang to bend an iron keel like that while a little nudge when setting it in the cradle could easily do that to lead.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts