SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
next year i intend to sail in Bahamas, my boat in center-boat, 30" depht !!!
where i could find hurricane holes ???? i don't leave my boat, istay aboard.
many thanks for your answers.
Marie

·
Administrator
7,617 Posts
There are none in the Bahamas as its too flat.

But if you can find some mangrove creeks... In Andros?

·
Registered
795 Posts
The concept of a 'hurricane hole' is totally wrong. Simpson's Lagoon was considered one of the best in the Caribbean until hurricane Louis sank 700 boats in 1995. A few days ago 30+ boats were lost in a Cat I.

There are places that if you do everything right in a Cat I you and your boat will probably survive. Once it gets up to Cat III then neither of you will likely survive at anchor or in a marina.

Mark is correct that Mangroves are often the safest place to be but once the storm surge gets up to 20 ft all bets are off!

Having stayed on a boat in a Cat I, I can not recommend the experience.

Good Luck Phil

·
TROUBLE
964 Posts

·
Administrator
7,617 Posts
Not nice. Thats my second and L A S T.

Best place to ride out a Caribbean/Bahamas Hurricane is Nevada playing Roulette with a hooker.

Mark

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Hatchet Bay Eleuthra is another.

However I know someone who lost their boat in Andrew in there.

As others have said OK for a cat 1 but more ?

·
Master Mariner
9,071 Posts
There are many excellent, safe "hurricane holes" around the world. However, what makes you think that the local commercial, work boat, fishing, tour boat, cargo boat operators are not going to dump their boats in there and go home to their families ashore? Trust me, a nice, safe "hurricane hole" is one of the last places you'd want to be in the event of a severe storm.
I've gone through innumerable tropical cyclonic storms of assorted severity and my biggest fear is of other vessels, not the weather. If you are staying aboard your vessel, your best plan would be to have a place to go outside the path of the storm. It's kinda like reefing; if you think you shouldn't be there any longer, you should have already left!

Reactions: jimgo

·
TROUBLE
964 Posts
There are many excellent, safe "hurricane holes" around the world.
So....would you care to share the ones in the Bahamas?

I met a guy in Nassau that charters there. He lives there year round, year after year (somehow working his way with Immigration), and has a hurricane hole close by. Problem is....he wouldn't share that location.

Ralph

·
TROUBLE
964 Posts
Hatchet Bay Eleuthra is another.

However I know someone who lost their boat in Andrew in there.

As others have said OK for a cat 1 but more ?
Yeah, looks pretty good for the Bahamas. Not good enough for me - The Retirement Project: Hatchet Bay, Eleuthera

I seriously love the Bahamas. Just like so many other cruisers. But it is not the place to be in Hurricane season. Take your chances and you may get lucky. If not, then life is going to suck.

Ralph

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've lived in Miami more than sixty years. I've gone through a lot of hurricanes. I would never stay on a boat in a hurricane. Get the boat as far inland as you can. Tie it up good and get off! I've had this discussion before. There are people who will argue that you should stay aboard so you can be active in protecting the boat. Once the wind gets above Cat 1 speeds, you can't go outside. Even minimum hurricanes will throw a lot of debris fast enough to kill you.

I knew a fellow who stayed aboard his boat during Hurricane Andrew. He was killed by flying debris. The sad thing is the boat survived with minor damage. If he'd stayed on shore both he and the boat would have both survived.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
Not nice. Thats my second and L A S T.

Best place to ride out a Caribbean/Bahamas Hurricane is Nevada playing Roulette with a hooker.

Mark
Where the odds of suffering a major loss are about the same...

·
Registered
795 Posts
I did not want to imply that I thought it was smart to stay on the boat even in a Cat1. Staying on the boat is a very dangerous and low % play.

When I did it I was 20 miles from the open ocean and 4 miles up a small river...there were no waves, a small tidal surge and the boat was stripped of sails and bimini. I had 3 big anchors out at 120 deg to each other all off the bow. The smallest of the 3 anchor rigs was a 65 lb CQR in tandem with a 40lb CQR on 75 ft 3/8 chain and 150 ft rode. It was a tough night and for most of it the wind was below hurricane strength. I have since upgraded my anchor system and my 'smallest/weakest' hurricane anchor is a 122 lb rochna.

Like Hopcar I live in Miami and I have been through some serious hurricanes...in hurricanes Katrina and Wilma 100's of boats were destroyed and people died in Dinner Key where I think Hop has a chandlery. During those two hurricanes my boat, a 31 ft tri, was in the Mangroves and did not even suffer a scratch. However, one boat near me sank in 8 ft of water because the stern anchors were too tight and the 8 ft surge overtoppped the stern and it filled with water.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts

I met a guy in Nassau that ...lives there year round, year after year (somehow working his way with Immigration), and has a hurricane hole close by. ....he wouldn't share that location.

Ralph
I'd say he's very wise, No?

·
Registered
140 Posts
"During those two hurricanes my boat, a 31 ft tri, was in the Mangroves and did not even suffer a scratch. "

If you can't get well inland, mangroves sound like a good idea. I know of a couple of boats that have survived that way.

"...Dinner Key where I think Hop has a chandlery."
Had a chandlery there. I think it's a Starbucks now. I'm up on the Miami River now. Stop by and we'll have some good Cuban coffee made by my gringos. My Cubans can't seem to make it as well.:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts