SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are we naming depressions earlier now days just because we have fancy monitoring stuff? Mindy is right above me and the only weather difference is that is still the morning as it is normal to have these conditions just about every afternoon.

Registered
They name EVERYTHING nowadays! It is ridiculous. But, I'm sure it's that the TV stations think it will catch the viewers imagination better, and allow them to hype the hell out of it more.

Registered
Storms aren't named until they reach Tropical Storm windspeed (ie 39mph sustained). Mindy made landfall with 45mph winds and gusts of around 55. That being said, when I got up this morning I said : ( I wonder what's going on with that storm out in the Gulf????) turns out that it made landfall last night and I didn't even notice it even though the center passed about 25 miles away... Just another rainy day in Florida.

Administrator
The number of hurricanes and named storms have increased hughly since weather has been a political depression.
Without taking in areas where no one knew there was a hurricane until a few decades ago, just looking at Florida

List of Florida hurricanes (pre-1900) - Wikipedia
List of Florida hurricanes (2000鈥損resent) - Wikipedia

You will see that pre-1900 must have been lovely weather... but 100 years later, after 2000 we havent been doing enough sacrifices.

Currently on the 5 day outlook of the NHC (of the USA - v important to note) there are 4 'disturbances', 2 named. None would have been noted or named until just a few decades ago:

Mindy: Not a Hurricane, not really an anything.
Larry: Mid -Atlantic no one would have known about it except for some missing ships crews.
Mexico Blod: 3 clouds and a zap or lightning.
Cape Verd Blob: Might not even make it to Cape Verd Islands.

Remember the NHC is a government department. If you are the boss of the department and you want more power & higher budget you show the world what more money & staff brings: More storms. And a pay rise for yourself because you have more staff and a higher budget!

Mark

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They name EVERYTHING nowadays! It is ridiculous. But, I'm sure it's that the TV stations think it will catch the viewers imagination better, and allow them to hype the hell out of it more.
It went right over me here in Jacksonville and I didn't wake up on the boat. But I bet the local news last night was in full fear mongering mode.

Registered
Being hurricane season, you need to get your 4th jab, purchase cyber security, buy an extended warranty on a vehicle you may or may not own, stock up on...well, everything
Be...the herd....

S/V Interlude, PSC31
Being hurricane season, you need to get your 4th jab, purchase cyber security, buy an extended warranty on a vehicle you may or may not own, stock up on...well, everything
Be...the herd....
Yup, not unlike winter storms where the store shelves are emptied. How much milk can you drink! We are sick puppies as have sat in a local grocers parking lot drinking a cold one and placing bets on how many bags of supplies someone might take out after they arrived to stock up. Here in Virginia you usually have to get up early before it melts if ya wanna build a snowman!

...now did have to engage the stove gimbal on our boat one time so we could make coffee as Tropical Storm Isaiah passed over head!

Registered
Some of us still have PTSD for the record number of storms last year in the gulf, and Hurricane Sally nearly totaling our boat. After 3 months on the hard, lots of repairs, and half a summer working out the kinks, I鈥檓 definitely stressed ever time a cloud shows up on the NHC map.

Master Mariner
Tropical cyclone wind fields are not necessarily centered around the eye. I think too many people see those perfectly formed circular storms and assume all tropical cyclonic storms are the same.
As a general rule, the right front quadrant (in the northern hemisphere) is considered the "dangerous" semi-circle and should be avoided whenever possible.

Registered
We are sick puppies as have sat in a local grocers parking lot drinking a cold one and placing bets on how many bags of supplies someone might take out after they arrived to stock up
Reminds me of drive in movies mixed with some game show.

Registered
It went right over me here in Jacksonville and I didn't wake up on the boat. But I bet the local news last night was in full fear mongering mode.
pretty sure when it went over you it was just depression strength which would explain why you were able to sleep In.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts