SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am well aware of hurricane season for us here in the USA which is around May through November, but what about other parts of the world?

I think Indian ocean near India has seasons for typhoons too.

Anyone know how I can find obvious info similar to hurricane season if other regions have months of known bad weather?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very good point. Why didn't I think of that. I guess sometimes we get caught up in our own fears. hehe Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction.

·
Administrator
7,568 Posts
The area of India, Bat of Bengal and Indian Ocean has two hurricane seasons per year, monsoons. It makes it a bit more complicated than other oceans.

Reactions: solarwindsailor

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
A supertyphoon on course to hit Japan over the weekend is as powerful as the deadly storm that ripped through the Philippines in 2013 killing thousands of people, meteorologists said Wednesday.

The monstrous storm, named Vongfong, was picking up speed as it churned through the far west of the Pacific Ocean.

"Its strength is very much similar to Haiyan," which ravaged the Philippines in November, said a meteorologist at the Japan Meteorological Agency.

Haiyan left nearly 8,000 people dead or missing when gusts of around 300 kilometres (190 miles) per hour tore through the country, generating giant waves that swamped coastal communities.

Vongfong was registering gusts of the same strength, according to the Japanese agency.

Supertyphoon rivalling Haiyan on course for Japan

·
Banned
276 Posts
Hi, I am well aware of hurricane season for us here in the USA which is around May through November, but what about other parts of the world?

I think Indian ocean near India has seasons for typhoons too.

Anyone know how I can find obvious info similar to hurricane season if other regions have months of known bad weather?
South Pacific Cyclone Season Information plus Search and rescue.

Cyclones Typhoons Hurricanes are all the same type on weather storms but referred to by different names for different areas.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~philclarke/yachtingextremewindwavesweatherwindfinder.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts