SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found that running a bottle of hydrogen peroxide through my sea water intake for the head works wonders to reduce H2S smells when flushing.

·
19,489 Posts
Interesting... we find that it's only the first flush after a while that 'smells'... daily use seems to keep it at bay.

How do you introduce the H2O2 into the intake?

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
Ditto. Daily use = zero odor. Can't picture how to get anything easily introduced to the intake. But, most importantly, your method will kill all beneficial bacteria in your holding tank that actually decompose the waste and keep it from smelling over time.

I add some Raritan KO with the first flush after emptying the holding tank. It's a bio active tank treatment, not a nuclear assault. From there, we have a hard and fast rule, nothing goes down the head unless you ate it or it's the TP provided.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I remove the intake hose end from the thru hull, put it in a small paint bucket filled with peroxide and pump. I work out of town and can only get to the boat on weekends. In the Louisiana summer the H2S smell gets pretty bad and doesn't go away on first flush. This is the first thing I've tried that works. I pump out the holding tank frequently so I'm not worried about bacterial content of the brew.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2, water with an extra oxygen atom and decomposes rather quickly even just sitting in the bottle. In killing the small amount of bacteria in the inlet water most or all gets consumed so nothing is left to kill the massive amount of bacteria in the holding tank.

In cleaning our large waste treatment plant membrane filter we use much stronger solutions of bleach and hydrogen peroxide and dump it right back into the bioreactors with no problem.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Just wanted to drop by and say (with a smug grin) that I love my composting toilet. :D (Ducks behind wall to avoid flinging feces)

MedSailor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts