SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Windseeker
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I recently bought a 10 year old 9' Caribe. It's seen a lot of use but has been reasonably kept and seems fundamentally sound, I'm putting in a little elbow grease to try and restore it to the awesome boat I think it is under the skin.

All the online reference indicates that Toluene is the go to solvent but that's not available here in California. What other solvents do people recommend that I might be able to use.

My cleanup of the boat involves (in approximate order):
- Removal of glue from previous repair that was leaking and needs redoing.
- Removal of slight growth on underside.
- General oil removal from around the boat.
- Removal of bottom paint, largely on the GRP underside but going onto the tubes where it's flaking a bit. I'll likely reapply to the GRP and find something else for the hypalon
- Removal of some sort of rubber paint on the topsides (likely followed by a fresh coat).

·
Windseeker
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One product I've found is Orange Off. Ordered but not yet tried. Have used acetone in a few spots so far but really trying to minimize its use and make sure it gets washed off pretty quickly.

Lol my plan was just to put this boat on the water but it accidentally stopped in my garage on the way to the harbor and is now undergoing a complete facelift.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.