SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're moving on to our second cruising boat. An early Hylas 46 is a front runner. I've heard there are things to look out for, quality is variable in the transitional period? Some years good, others not so much? Detailing may also have evolved over time with this design. I'm particularly interested in access to systems, with hopefully removable headliner, floor panels and cabinets?

I can see there were earlier threads on similar topic, which I've read. Rather than resurrect and extend them, I'm starting this.

Thanks
el Sapo

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
I sailed one from Newport RI to St Barths via Bermuda.

My biggest complaint was that is was unsleeepable to due a lack of lee clothes - easily fixed. Ii was the start of my dislike for island queen berths.

As to systems - fresh water electric heads are not my favourite, especially when there is a leak in the fresh water system caused by a poor installation of a water filter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the Hylas/Stevens 47, and could go that way. But I like the deck-accessible chain locker and deeper cockpit of the later boats. And the portlights and windows are a bit larger, and stainless instead of aluminum. Your thoughts? Thanks . . .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts