SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I don't discuss my member
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to clean up some Bostik Inflatable Boat Adhesive (polychloroprene adhesive) from my Achilles hypalon boat. Any idea what generic solvent to use? West Marine doesn't carry the Bostik M 501 Cleaner/Thinner that the label recommends.

·
Registered
23,869 Posts
I had to reapply a patch and used a knife blade to scrape off all the old adhesive, like it was a paint scraper. Worked fine. However, I was recovering and wasn't concerned for scraping into the outer layer a bit.

·
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everybody. I spent most of the afternoon running around trying to find tuolene only to discover it is no longer sold in California. Ironically, I have a can of it at home and could have saved an hour or more of fruitless searching if I'd just gone and gotten it.

I ended up using "Goo Gone", which worked reasonably well. I assume it will not harm the hypalon.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts

I ended up using "Goo Gone", which worked reasonably well. I assume it will not harm the hypalon.
Goo Gone works but will dissolve a bit of the surface material as well. Another alternative is 3M Adhesive Remover 03618, used sparingly.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks everybody. I spent most of the afternoon running around trying to find tuolene only to discover it is no longer sold in California. Ironically, I have a can of it at home and could have saved an hour or more of fruitless searching if I'd just gone and gotten it.

Tolul or Toulene is available at Home Depots in the Las Vegas area for those that drive there from California - right next to the Acetone.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37

·
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I was told on another forum that zylene is the replacement for tuolene.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts