SailNet Community banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21,676 Posts
My current house bank is Gel. I think AGMs are a poor choice for a cruiser, unless one has the ability to top them to 100% at least weekly. AGMs do not like operating for long at partial charge. My Gels can take it a bit better, but they take forever to charge. Not a problem, when we're plugged in during the week. Harder to manage, when we cruise. Lots of generator time.

Funny, I was just aboard a 70ft sailboat, run by a pro Captain. It has 8x4D AGMs. That's a ton of batteries and a huge recharge need. I asked about recharging and he admitted the generator runs all the time. In fact, with the owner aboard, they run it 24/7. Crazy.

Both my boat and this big boat would seriously benefit from LiFePO batts. One day.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
My current house bank is Gel. I think AGMs are a poor choice for a cruiser, unless one has the ability to top them to 100% at least weekly. AGMs do not like operating for long at partial charge. My Gels can take it a bit better, but they take forever to charge. Not a problem, when we're plugged in during the week. Harder to manage, when we cruise. Lots of generator time.

Funny, I was just aboard a 70ft sailboat, run by a pro Captain. It has 8x4D AGMs. That's a ton of batteries and a huge recharge need. I asked about recharging and he admitted the generator runs all the time. In fact, with the owner aboard, they run it 24/7. Crazy.

Both my boat and this big boat would seriously benefit from LiFePO batts. One day.
I have 2-8D AGMs and they are pretty much topped up all the time on a mooring with a few solar panels. Of course if you add lots of loads they will require more charging than the solar can do. This replenishment is accomplished with a high outout alternator on the engine which will typically be used min 2-3 hrs per day. Our refer is not 12v but engine drive so it's not a drain on the batts. We're all LED now as well. But radar is a big drain.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
But radar is a big drain.
What do you consider a big drain?

I consider 3A a small to moderate drain, but that is relative to boat consumption, battery capacity, and charging abilities. 3A of an otherwise overall daily consumption of 50Ah from a 150Ah battery charged with a 75W panel is huge, while on our boat it would be small.

Also, today's radars and displays are much more power conservative than in the past. 2-3A operating current is the norm.

Mark

21 - 24 of 24 Posts