SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of years ago before Hurricane Sandy, I spent a lot of time readying my boat for the storm: removing the sails and boom, doubling up the lines, sealing up the hatches, etc. One thing I forgot to do was take home the welcome mat I kept on the dock. It was a cheap, rubber thing, but it had a nautical theme and it was a gift from my very young daughter. I figured it would be blown away and that was that. But when I came back after the storm, not only was the boat fine, but the mat was still there. So I put the boat back together and went for a sail. When I came back a few hours later, the mat was gone. Stolen.

My now not quite as young daughter bought me a replacment mat. This one a little nicer. It even said "Welcome Aboard". I put the mat out on the dock last month when I was put in the water. When I went out to the boat yesterday for a sail, the new mat was gone.

There's almost no one in my marina this year (another story), so if it shows up in front of someone else's boat, it's not like I won't notice it. And I can't fathom who would steal something like that. I mean, really. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Maybe its the owner of the marina taking unauthorized items off the dock?

·
Registered
661 Posts
A couple of years ago before Hurricane Sandy, I spent a lot of time readying my boat for the storm: removing the sails and boom, doubling up the lines, sealing up the hatches, etc. One thing I forgot to do was take home the welcome mat I kept on the dock. It was a cheap, rubber thing, but it had a nautical theme and it was a gift from my very young daughter. I figured it would be blown away and that was that. But when I came back after the storm, not only was the boat fine, but the mat was still there. So I put the boat back together and went for a sail. When I came back a few hours later, the mat was gone. Stolen.

My now not quite as young daughter bought me a replacment mat. This one a little nicer. It even said "Welcome Aboard". I put the mat out on the dock last month when I was put in the water. When I went out to the boat yesterday for a sail, the new mat was gone.

There's almost no one in my marina this year (another story), so if it shows up in front of someone else's boat, it's not like I won't notice it. And I can't fathom who would steal something like that. I mean, really. I just don't get it.
Who does things like that??

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,433 Posts
Best way to not have something stolen is to mark it "free" LOL

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For some reason, I am picturing a very happy black lab laid up under one of the boats on the hard in your marina, with 1000 little pieces of plastic scattered around it.
Yeah, I blame it on the dog!
Ha! Miles of smiles on this one.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Rubber mats are not permitted at our marina, mainly because they tend to hold moisture beneath them and make the dock boards deteriorate.

Gary :cool:

·
Administrator
5,922 Posts
Rubber mats are not permitted at our marina, mainly because they tend to hold moisture beneath them and make the dock boards deteriorate.

Gary :cool:
I wonder, too, if it's the marina management. But if that's the case, how hard would it be to just let him know and allow him to remove the mat himself?!

·
2,449 Posts
I wonder, too, if it's the marina management. But if that's the case, how hard would it be to just let him know and allow him to remove the mat himself?!
Odd behavior isn't all that unusual in marina staff...:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
5,922 Posts
Maybe it's time for a boat cam.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Some people are just useless. Last week someone stole a small Ikea patio set from my front yard, a metal table and two chairs. They even took the plastic rabbit lawn ornament and the pottle jade plant on the table. Who does that? I think it was under $200 new, worth almost nothing used.

I have an anchor and chain in the front garden as an ornament, I guess I'll tie the next table to the anchor.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is really almost no "marina management" at my place, so I really doubt that they took it. However, it certainly is worth a call to their answering machine (I've been at this marina for 14 years, and no one has ever answered the phone; no exaggeration) to let them know the mat is gone.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I love the picture that Scratchee's electric mat creates in my mind. Drizzlie day, old man with an oar in one hand and his white hair standing straight up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts