SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on craigslist, here in Baltimore, I found another boat, one that I can actually hope to get fixed up. I will start with the boat's story.

it's a 1971 cal 27. it was owned by an old guy who lived aboard. a few years ago, the marina changed hands and the new owners, who cleaned the marina up, decided on no live aboards. so, the guy moved out and just stopped paying for his slip. it sat on the water for a few years. they had tried to get it off the lean dock, pricing it at $2800. it didn't sell. so, they advertised it for $500.

after looking at it, I asked if they'd take less. the guy immediately said they'd take $300. he really doesn't want to just scrap it out. if I bought it, i'd be able to keep it there and work on it. $180 a month. then, when ready, I could have it hauled at the marina next door ( I went and asked them ) for a week. that would cost $270; hauled and launched.

now, the boat:

it needs some work. the interior needs the most. the interior paint needs scraped and redone. it needs cushions. it's not overly dirty, inside, but a bit of clean up will need done. there are barnacles under the water, to scrape, but no where else. the boat has never been under water and it doesn't leak. the bilge is bone dry. the main hatch needs replaced. one safety rail needs replaced. a little cabinetry needs done, inside. the head is missing but the old guy, who showed me the boat, said he had one in the shop he'd give me.

the mast and all the standing rigging is good. the deck is solid as a rock. I purposely walked over every bit of it and checked it out from below. one port light is broken. looks like a thrown rock is the culprit. the bottom paint needs redone. all of the rest of the paint is fine. the hull paint is a little oxidized but a bit of buffing should polish that gel coat right back up.

no motor. but I am going to look at an electric outboard with 55 lbs of thrust, tomorrow. the guy wants $100 obo.

the tiller is weather worn but solid. i'd make a new one just for cosmetic sake.

wen doing the cabinetry work, I would need to make a new set of access way steps. the originals are missing.

hmmm that's about it. the cabin isn't standing head room. it's a bit shy of that but it does have a pop top, although the supports for that seem to be missing.

it has a main, jib, and spinnaker. they do have the spinnaker pole, too. he also has a bunch of other random sails they have stored in the shop that were from other boats that got abandoned. they will give them to me. so, I could take the entire lot of sails to a nearby sail maker and try to make a deal on a better main, working jib, and jenny. I am thinking it might be good to invest in roller furling so, maybe I wouldn't need an actual working jib, just a newer jenny.

now, just to clarify, the sails it has are fine. obviously older but not bad. I am just thinking that I could trade them all for a better main and jib. not too worried about a spinnaker. I was thinking of adding another stay to the front and having a second jib, for light airs. then i'd want a main, jenny, and a working jib. but it's just a thought, at this point.

all together, this boat's worst issue is the barnacles below the water. all else is cosmetic. so, here are the pics, what do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well, it's floating and dry that's a nice start. I would scrap the electric motor idea and just buy a long shaft outboard when the boat is complete, maybe a 9.9 hp, at the very end.

In most cases if restoring a boat, motorcycle or car it take 3x's as much money as one thinks (I'm an expert with that latter two). I would have a very specific game plan of what you need to do and price it all out.

Just price out lines and winches and you'll be shocked never mind hiring someone for the interior cushions, etc...

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
CAL 27 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Take a deep breath. Lot's of long range plans there to fix up that boat.
The boat doesn't seem to be in that bad shape if it is dry. Barnacles on the bottom are the least of your worries. The lack of an engine would be the first thing to do on my list.

You are going to have plenty to fix up if you take this boat. Cal's have a pretty good reputation so you might end up with a decent boat after a bunch of work and money.

Good luck with all your plans.

·
Registered
22,673 Posts
Nothing a few grand wouldn't get sailing safely again, I suppose. How's the standing rigging, did you climb and inspect it all? I don't see a boom in those pics.

I still think I would spend the few grand on a boat that didn't need work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How much does boat weigh? how far do you want to travel with electric motor i had a 55# trust on 1800# boat worked fine in 15knots or less short distance

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Sounds a lot better than the last one you posted about. Is she sailable *right now*, barnacles & all, to get a feel for her? From your description, excepting the hatch & port, it is all cosmetics you can nibble away at leisure. If that's so, she could be the one. Good luck!

·
19,489 Posts
Agree the electric motor idea may not prove practical.. and may let you down when you need it most. Also, forget about adding stays/sails, etc until you've had the boat in sailing condition for a season or two.. by that time you'll no what's really necessary and what doesn't make sense after all.

Decent bones, by the look of it, steps above your plan A....

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it's floating and dry that's a nice start. I would scrap the electric motor idea and just buy a long shaft outboard when the boat is complete, maybe a 9.9 hp, at the very end.

In most cases if restoring a boat, motorcycle or car it take 3x's as much money as one thinks (I'm an expert with that latter two). I would have a very specific game plan of what you need to do and price it all out.

Just price out lines and winches and you'll be shocked never mind hiring someone for the interior cushions, etc...
well, it costs if you actually buy stuff and pay other people to fabricate for you. I built my chopper for less than 5 grand. it's totally radical. got published in the paper for it. but I fabricated 85% of all the parts from raw materials, including the seat, and I modified another 10% from stock pars of various bikes.

I don't need to hire anyone to do any of the work except haul it out of the water. the winches ad all the pricey hardware that make a boat sail are there. and, I do have extra hardware rom that other boat.

not sure about a gas powered motor. I am not a fan of motors, anyway, and I really dislike the loud, stinky gas motors. I really only want a motor in case of an emergency. I have never even used a boat motor. my grand father took one with us on the river, in case of emergency, but we never used it all my years growing up. I bartered away the motor, that came with my holiday 20, 17 years ago. I keep oars in the cuddy, in case I get becalmed. but, I will take your suggestion into my considerations. I want a motor as a safety net, so I want to make the best choice possible. the bay is pretty big. I doubt I will ever sail this boat in the ocean, but you never know.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds a lot better than the last one you posted about. Is she sailable *right now*, barnacles & all, to get a feel for her? From your description, excepting the hatch & port, it is all cosmetics you can nibble away at leisure. If that's so, she could be the one. Good luck!
to answer a few questions at once, the listed displacement is 5400 lbs. I don't intend to actually use the motor. it's just for emergency. plus, I was thinking the motor would work for my holiday, 1000 lbs displacement, as well. I will sail that one as I fix this one.

he has the boom and the spinnaker pole. I could sail her now, as is. everything that is needed to sail is there.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Agree the electric motor idea may not prove practical.. and may let you down when you need it most. Also, forget about adding stays/sails, etc until you've had the boat in sailing condition for a season or two.. by that time you'll no what's really necessary and what doesn't make sense after all.

Decent bones, by the look of it, steps above your plan A....
cool. it's good to get the positive response on this one. makes me feel a bit safer considering it as a purchase. lol. I wasn't planning to add any stays or modify the sail plan right away. it's just a thought for the future.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Whatever you do, get the interior done first. Cals are GOBs and should serve you well.
that was my plan. make a new hatch and then do the interior. I will worry about the barnacles and bottom paint last.

GOB= good old boat?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nothing a few grand wouldn't get sailing safely again, I suppose. How's the standing rigging, did you climb and inspect it all? I don't see a boom in those pics.

I still think I would spend the few grand on a boat that didn't need work.
I didn't climb the rigging. however, at deck level, all was in perfect working order and she's not loose in the stays.

you have to have a few extra grand, to spend unnecessarily, to spend a few grand unnecessarily. lol. if it's not broken, don't fix it.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
CAL 27 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Take a deep breath. Lot's of long range plans there to fix up that boat.
The boat doesn't seem to be in that bad shape if it is dry. Barnacles on the bottom are the least of your worries. The lack of an engine would be the first thing to do on my list.

You are going to have plenty to fix up if you take this boat. Cal's have a pretty good reputation so you might end up with a decent boat after a bunch of work and money.

Good luck with all your plans.
it's good to hear that they have a good reputation. that makes me feel a lot better.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Looks good and a good starting price...Agreed that there is no free boat and they all cost a certain amount...Most naysayers have more money then ability...Fair winds and 9 feet of water under the keel...

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks. well, as they say, nothing in life is free. it all costs you, one way or another.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'm going back tomorrow to speak directly with the woman who owns the marina, who is the one actually selling it. it's actually $6 per foot annually. that's $162 a month and $1944 a year. really reasonable. there is nothing on the pricing sheet, that the guy gave me, which indicates it must be paid up front. they seemed to be really reasonable people, willing to work with me. so, as long as that holds true tomorrow, and I can pay it monthly, like rent, I am going to buy that boat tomorrow. then they will move it from the lean dock to it's own slip. and I will begin work. the first thing is to make a new hatch, even if a temporary one, and tape over that cracked port light.

I am thinking about what you guys said about that electric motor. i'm still not sold on the need for a gas motor. I think that either type, used just for emergencies, might have an equal chance of failure; possibly worse for the gas outboard because it's got a lot more moving parts. however, depending on just how little that guy's $100 OBO goes, I may not be able to acquire it after spending the money for this boat. if I can get him to take $50, it might be too hard to resist.

my auto insurance is renewing right now and you can't be late on the renewal payment. if I decide to do this, I can swing the slip fee by going through the stuff I have in storage and either eliminating it or moving the important stuff to my mother's house, in the room above her garage or in one of the sheds. it would be cheaper paying the slip fee than the storage, actually. they have really raised their rates over the last few years.

so, this might all work out well, really. I am already doing the interior, in my mind. deciding how I want to do it. can anyone tell me if they know of a site that has a lot of detailed information about these boats? there are things I need to research; like the supports for the pop top, which seem to be MIA. I will want to be able to use the pop top, while not actually sailing, for the added head height. I have actually considered eliminating the pop top and just elevating the top, permanently, and walling it in, to just make the latter part of the cabin a little higher. according to the drawing on sailboatdata, there is clearance under the boom for that and it might just be the best course of action.

·
19,489 Posts
........ I have actually considered eliminating the pop top and just elevating the top, permanently, and walling it in, to just make the latter part of the cabin a little higher. according to the drawing on sailboatdata, there is clearance under the boom for that and it might just be the best course of action.
Make sure there's clearance for the vang too (and if you don't have one, add it...;))

I'd not make your poptop 'permanent'.. if you want to rig a way to have it up all the time (if that actually works) I'd make it removable without too much fuss.. I'm thinking eventual re-sale here, and 'keeping her pretty'....

The issue with the electric motor is that it may not have enough 'oomph' in your 'emergencies'.. it likely won't have a long enough shaft to stay in the water in waves, and the battery may die when you need it most... If you have little intention of using any sort of motor, then at least have one that will get you out of a pickle (for certain) when you need it.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Jack, this is a MUCH better choice than the last one. I'm still not convinced that this one makes economic sense either, but you are light years ahead with this one. I think this one may have us all shaking our heads and smiling at you when you're done and you realize just how much you sunk into her and what you could have gotten for a similar investment. But, when you compare that to the reaction of almost everyone to the last boat - RUN AWAY - I think you'll agree that this is getting more positives.

I also want to echo what Ron (Faster) said, because it is REALLY important. The time you need that engine isn't the day that the wind is blowing at 5 knots and you're half a mile from the dock. It's the day you're 4 or 5 miles away and there is a NASTY squally bearing down on you, and the wind is coming from the direction you need to go. The Cal is likely to get blown backward even with a 55lb thrust motor. An 8 or 9.9 with a long shaft will be a better option in those circumstances. I understand your reasons for not wanting a gas engine, but with a bigger boat like the Cal, you really are better off.

Good luck with the purchase, and be sure to keep a running dialog showing us how you're progressing!

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
cal 27 is a perfect candidate for electric, light...and small...

they are nice club racers too...

good luck!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts