SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We first sailed by over 20 years ago. Armed with paper charts and Loran, we gave this unmarked rock studded coast, a wide berth. Even in the last decade with a small chartplotter to aid our navigation, an anchorage never showed itself from outside the rocks. This week we safely piloted our way in with caution, and the added advantage of an ipad.

Yet I still wouldn't have found this anchorage on my electronic charts. Found the old fashioned way- hiking by that morning, I saw it.

At the hikes end, we upped anchored and soon after, set the hook again.

The rest of the day is like a long movie driven by the tide. Low water, we pull the dinghy up onto a thick mat of golden barnacles.

By mid tide, a glass clear canal to the ocean opens. Oars float as breaking waves from the ocean meet a restless current from our Eden, that pushes us-to and fro- along a meandering stream.

With nothing but open ocean to our west, we are in a sunset, that takes your breath away.

Where on the coast of Maine, are we?

·
Administrator
7,551 Posts
It looks lovely. Good holding? Or is the bottom rocky?

Mark

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks lovely. Good holding? Or is the bottom rocky?

Mark
Good eye and sense. NOT likely great holding, and potentially exposed-to very exposed.

It was with an overnight forecast of under 5 knots that encouraged me to spend the night.

Our trusty CQR took a good set-full reverse, but I was not surprised to see the anchor surface the next morning, as clean as the day it was first cast in Scotland.

·
19,488 Posts
Sometimes I think we need a 'LOVE' button!... great post and pics Tom.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Yea, that night I would have taken the chance too. Perrrfectttt!

OK, let's see we are facing the open water to the west. I think maybe I can see some land off in the far distance. I know you are located in Rockland. This time of year (we just got back), it's getting cold so you didn't go far. It's a hilly island. There's a stony beach on part of it. There's a big tide pool. You anchored someplace else, walked to this bay, observed, then moved the boat.

Could be lots of places, but I'm guessing you are out on the south end of Vinalhaven or Isle a Haut someplace I've never been. It reminds me of a place near Lunts, but that spot faces North.

Your driving me nuts...take me out of my misery please:D I double dog promise not to reveal it if you PM.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, that night I would have taken the chance too. Perrrfectttt!

"or Isle a Haut someplace I've never been" But where on the island?:)

Your driving me nuts...take me out of my misery please:D I double dog promise not to reveal it if you PM.
Here's another clue; you can see the stone Cairns for this trail from your anchored boat. This magnificent trail looks out over this view.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not in a guide, or even on a chart-until today. For my friends, here's Eden.

Tucked inside Western Ear on Isle Au Haut, Big Brewster stands guard to the West. You're on the Duck Harbor Mountain Trail, one of the most stunning hikes anywhere. My wife remarked along the trail, "This is like hiking Big Sur, right in our backyard". 20 miles from our backyard in fact.

Not perfect(what Eden is?). Far out at sea, the constant ocean swell makes a rhythmic rumbling sound, like a very big dog, snoring, gently.

You never want to be here, when the big dog, wakes up.

·
Administrator
7,551 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Tom. Many don't.

If I get up that way I will drop in :)

Reactions: TomMaine

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
The only problem is: Now that you shared this lovely spot, the next time you go there, there will be a dozen boats anchored in that tiny cove....

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
Looks like the Maine I remember when I visited at age 13 or 14 or so. The family still refers to the girl I met on a rocky beach as the "mermaid" but I don't even remember her name, but I do still see her face when I dream of Maine. Oh the memories of childhood, really do shape the rest of your life!

Your dog looks to really be enjoying it too! With those barnacles on the beach I am sure there was lots of stuff for him to sniff!

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Excellent photography. :)

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
Oh and would you stop posting pictures of that boat? It is really making me contemplate way more wood than I know I should! That boat is so cool, kind of the perfect blend of wooden boat looks, especially interior, with a fiberglass hull. I really love that thing. It looks just so right with the mizzen up as a riding sail on anchor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts