SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many days pulling apart my cooling system, cleaning and replacing hoses I started the motor. As I watched the raw water strainer making sure it was working correctly, the flow reduced to a trickle with the water looking like soda pop. I increased the revs and there was a visible serge and the water cleared and began to flow out the exhaust as it should. I stopped the motor, pulled the strainer and this is what I found.

What have you found in you raw water strainer??

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
How big is your intake?
I can't imagine a fish fitting through mine and I can't believe you killed that poor defenseless little critter. PETA is going to be all over your ass.

·
SailGunner
57 Posts
Minnows

I had a minnow get caught in my intake a couple of years ago and overheated my engine. Replaced the impleller and that didn't work. Then I took everything apart until I found the guy stuck in the line at the through-hull valve.

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
You Oaf!!

The striped half-dollar fish is endangered.

That will be a $10k fine and an eco-sensitivity training class for you, Ombre!!

·
19,489 Posts
I had a minnow get caught in my intake a couple of years ago and overheated my engine. Replaced the impleller and that didn't work. Then I took everything apart until I found the guy stuck in the line at the through-hull valve.
We had the same thing happen a few years back, just as we were leaving the dock the cooling water stopped.... nothing wrong with strainer etc.. thruhull was partially plugged. Eventually dove the boat and rodded out the intake (no external strainer) and the fish came out into the RW strainer bowl. Poor guy must have been nibbling on some algae when we started up.

·
Salty Dog
120 Posts
Poor little guy, was he still kicking??

If not throw him in a cup with a couple ice cubes, usually gets 'em going again!

Reminds me of the kime we wrapped a sunfish around the leading edge of the keel while racing.

We thought it was kelp, looked through the kelp window and there was this big EYE!!

Poor guy, he was folded like a taco, pretty sure we did him in!

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
When I was a kid, we were anchored on our O'Day 28 in Horn Harbor on the Great Wicomico River on the Chesapeake Bay. It's a hurricane hole, so there's not a lot of movement in there sometimes. When we got up in the morning, the nettles were so thick it looked like you could just walk across them.

Well, you can guess that when we started the engine, the intake of our OMC saildrive immediately sucked up a bunch of jellies and got clogged. We had hoped they were more on the surface, but of course not. The only way to clear it was from under the boat.

My father had to put on a bunch of layers of clothes (not good for swimming) to protect his skin as much as he could. He even wore a sweatshirt with a hood drawn tight and a turtleneck to cover as of his face as possible. Also a snorkling mask, gloves, etc. He had to lower himself into the water, through all the jellies, to get under the boat and clean out the intake.

All in all, he came out all right, with only a few light stings through his clothes. He said his biggest fear was having a nettle drift right over his face, but he managed to avoid it.

Anyway, that's my "stuff stuck in the intake" story.
-J

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
I've been lucky as far as my engine's raw water intake. However, I did find a very small crab in my A/C raw water strainer during routine maintenance. Little fella was perfectly formed and about the size of your fingernail. I ate his mom and aunt in She Crab Soup for supper. he-he-he

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine has a screen outboard so nothing gets in. It will slime over if I don't watch it though.
Is a screen worth the effort what are the pros and cons?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
A lot of boats here in the southland of Louisiana use external heat exchangers do to the high level of slit in the waters of the Rivers & bayous.

I am looking for a new boat: But if I get one from the northern states I will have probably have to install one in order to keep my aux engine from slitting up and being clogged with Mississippi Mud big time.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
LOL... fishy, fishy, fishy fish...

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Is a screen worth the effort what are the pros and cons?
Good question. I am debating putting a slotted "scoop" or some sort of screen over my welded in, three-inch standpipe, which is currently open to the sea. Four half-inch barbs tee off this pipe below the waterline with ballcocks on each for A/C, head and engine intake, and the last is a spare for (likely) seawater intake for sink and watermaker. I have the same, if not identical, Perko strainer. They're nice pieces of gear.

Right now, I can take the threaded cap off the pipe and look at the bottom...odd but nice. I was told by the P.O., however, that one time the engine temp was creeping up and he opened up the pipe only to see a fairly robust fish's gullet! I can't remember what he used to clear the standpipe, but it didn't end any better for his fish than it did for yours.

Had I a slotted strainer, I could still suck in bits of bag and plenty of the smaller sort of critter, but would not be able to "ream out" the standpipe at sea. I wonder if there's a spring-loaded strainer that would keep out the fish but could be pushed outwards from the inside? I might have to invent it!

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Found a catfish - a little bitty catfish - in our intake on our O'Day 322 in Lake Pickwick, TN.
Selkirk,
I sent you a Private Message. I hope you can help me with Pickwick Lake.
Hijack over, return to your regularly scheduled program.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
A lot of boats here in the southland of Louisiana use external heat exchangers do to the high level of slit in the waters of the Rivers & bayous.

I am looking for a new boat: But if I get one from the northern states I will have probably have to install one in order to keep my aux engine from slitting up and being clogged with Mississippi Mud big time.
Boasun, what do you mean by "external" heat exchangers? Separate raw water and engine coolant circuits? That's fairly common everywhere, and is a good idea silt or not.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I have something like this on my intake
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=text vAlign=center align=middle width="40%">

Can't you add a strainer over the existing thru hull?
Like this..........

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

1 - 20 of 29 Posts