SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
title says it, some may remember the thread about my bimini getting stolen.

well about a month ago i saw another hunter 27 with the same style bimini as mine, i got the boat name. later that night i walked up to the boat and talked to a guy sitting on it found out the general area they kept it. so today i went for a bike ride and found the boat its about a mile from my boat. i walked down to the boat and took a few looks and thought it looked like mine. so tonight i went down with my camera and took pics of it in some very recognizable places. when i got home i compared the pics, they match. down to the stitching that wanders, the wear spots etc.

so tomorrow i get my neighbor who is a sgt for the city police to take a ride with me, and get it back.

now here is the funny part. i keep my boat by a charter place called "getaway sailing". the night i saw the other boat a girl that works at getaway was sitting next to the boat, and the guy i talked to sitting on the boat also works for them. the thing that pisses me off is every time i see her she is very friendly and nice to me, i wonder if she knows. i might be talking to the owner of getaway sailing just to inform him that his employees might be involved. the other funny thing is i found a natty bo beer on my boat when the bimini was stolen, the night i saw the other boat there was a case of natty bo on the deck

once i get the bimini back i will be hanging out at the slips telling every one that has a boat there that their neighbor is a thief

any other suggestions ?

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Scottyt—

You have no proof that they stole it or even knew it was stolen property... at best, all you have proof of is that they received it from someone who stole it... If you go accusing them of stealing it, you'd better have better proof than their mere possession of it or you could be accused of slander/libel.

If you go around their marina and say that they're thieves, you're likely to get hammered in court, unless you have fairly substantial proof that they indeed did steal it. Receiving stolen property is a far different thing than actually stealing it... and you don't have any evidence that they knew it was stolen or stole it AFAICT.

Don't go causing yourself more trouble than you've already got. I'd also point out... if they really are the thieves... it might be better to have the local police keep an eye on them, since it is far more likely that they've stolen other stuff and will steal stuff in the future. This is why you were told to report the theft in the original thread... if these guys have a habit of having stolen stuff show up on their boat, the local police are going to probably wonder why that is. If you didn't file a report, you'd are guilty of helping them by omission—you did file a report, right???

Also, if you make a big stink about it...they may decide to retaliate...and it doesn't sound as if your boat is all that secure. Five minutes on a boat with a cordless drill and a long drill bit is all that is needed for them to cause your boat a lot of damage...

I'd also ask if Natty Bo beer a common item in your area or is it an expensive, hard to find microbrew. The beer could be a coincidence...and given that it has been over TWO MONTHS since your bimini was stolen, based on the date of your previous post, do you think they really kept the beer for TWO MONTHS??? :rolleyes:

One last thing. Digital photos, are rarely accepted as evidence, unless they're RAW format images, which are much more difficult to tamper with. Unless you have some good photos of the bimini with either people or something that is unique to your boat in the image, or witnesses as to when the photos were taken... they may not be taken as proof of your ownership. Digital photos are too easily manipulated to serve as legal proof in most cases. The "original ownership" photos in conjunction with signed affidavits by people in the photos in question, as to when the photos were taken, are much stronger legally IMHO.

IANAL...

title says it, some may remember the thread about my bimini getting stolen.

well about a month ago i saw another hunter 27 with the same style bimini as mine, i got the boat name. later that night i walked up to the boat and talked to a guy sitting on it found out the general area they kept it. so today i went for a bike ride and found the boat its about a mile from my boat. i walked down to the boat and took a few looks and thought it looked like mine. so tonight i went down with my camera and took pics of it in some very recognizable places. when i got home i compared the pics, they match. down to the stitching that wanders, the wear spots etc.

so tomorrow i get my neighbor who is a sgt for the city police to take a ride with me, and get it back.

now here is the funny part. i keep my boat by a charter place called "getaway sailing". the night i saw the other boat a girl that works at getaway was sitting next to the boat, and the guy i talked to sitting on the boat also works for them. the thing that pisses me off is every time i see her she is very friendly and nice to me, i wonder if she knows. i might be talking to the owner of getaway sailing just to inform him that his employees might be involved. the other funny thing is i found a natty bo beer on my boat when the bimini was stolen, the night i saw the other boat there was a case of natty bo on the deck

once i get the bimini back i will be hanging out at the slips telling every one that has a boat there that their neighbor is a thief

any other suggestions ?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Come on SD. People make a habit of drinking the same kind of beer, so its likely they were drinking the same kind the night they stole the bimini. Probably quite a few to work up some false courage, then they put one down while removing the bimini and forgot about the evidence they were leaving.

Yes, his case is circumstantial from a strictly legal perspective, but you know and I know if somone took something from your boat that you saw every day and had pictures of, you could identify it, even if you couldn't prove it in court.

If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, its a duck.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I will agree you need to be careful when bandying information about. Slander can cost. I would turn it over to the police and let the police do the talking to them. No need of you even being there. Of course if you did not file a report with someone at the very least the harbor master then you are probably screwed except for posting it here. It might do you some good to prove that is was stolen.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Let us know how to turns out, but let the police make the moves.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes SD i have a report. and yes i have high res pics of my self, my father inlaw and my wife all with it in view and other pics of just the bimini. all pics are dated. i bought the boat from a charity and i even have the pics of the bimini that they took.

i also still have the beer can they left on my boat, and natty bo is a local beer, not real common, but common enough.

what i plan on doing is to go talk to the girl, put her in the middle. i will tell her to please call the owner of the boat and tell him i am on my way to his boat, and i want it back, if he refuses i will get the police involved. this gives him a safe easy way out. i also plan on having my cop friend with me in normal clothes, so if it gets sour i have him there.

·
Barking Dog
237 Posts
Be careful. What if this guy provides legit proof like photos of the bimini with him in them taken before yours was stolen?

All you can do is ask where he got it and how long he has had it. Then go from there.

No need to put anyone in the middle.

·
Rail Meat
29 Posts
Maybe they can use the CSI crime solving super computer and run the prints on the bottle through CODUS. Then have a 3d computer rendering of the owner of those prints.

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
That vast majority of people who possess stolen property have a pretty good idea it's stolen. <G>

Not a lot the police can do for you there unless there is some way to ID the bimini such as a serial number, however this guy may already be on the police departments radar. Report it, see what they have to say. A proactive detective just might go get your stuff back for you. Take your photos, etc. when you talk to them, give them as much "evidence" as you can.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Sorry but if someone stoled from me... and I found out who they are... then they will be paying for it in one way or another...

But you should marked everything on your vessel and home... with either your driver' lic. Number or Part of your S.S. Number and along with your name or the name of the vessel.

Never make a threat toward the people that you KNOW are responsible. Just do what you feel is necessary and keep it to yourself. The Best of friends have big mouths and if he/she is a politican it is even worst.

·
Registered
725 Posts
If you "know" who it is keep an eye out, Or you could bate your boat and have a hidden camera, they will mess up and just call 911 and be a witness and concerned citizen.

·
cap'n chronic
235 Posts
The only person you need to convince in this situation is yourself.
If things dont work out legally, buy a cordless drill and put karma to work.

·
Registered
141 Posts
scottyt

We understand your anger. But the question is what are you willing to risk for this bimini? Lawsuit? Violence? Angering potentially dangerous people? Jail?

Let your police officer friend handle this. In fact you might want to ask HIM to recommend a course of action.

If you are still unhappy with the outcome, think about what each course of action could cost you. The cordless drill may sound like fun but it could land YOU in jail. Is it worth this?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okay to all in the thread karma is a 2 way street, so no drilling going on, but i can hope for a split hose to the holding tank.

as for the cops, i spoke to the neighbor, he said get the report and pics i have, keep an eye on the boat when some one is on it call the cops to come down. i showed him my evidence and he agrees its mine. he also said unless they admit it they could only get him for possession, which i knew. i really dont want to risk retaliation so i would rather just get it back with out the cops but its what i need to do.

so now i get to make a bunch of trips down there to look for the owner.

·
midlife crisis member
975 Posts
Maybe they can use the CSI crime solving super computer and run the prints on the bottle through CODUS. Then have a 3d computer rendering of the owner of those prints.
I like those computers and that software. Especially the fact that the software beeps with each new database fingerprint it's sampling, because that would not be annoying at all.

The other option is to check the marina security camera footage. It's sure to be a .1 MP resolution. Once you find the subject stealing your bimini on tape, enhance that one pixel that is thier head so you can recognize him Also see if his accomplice's reflection is visible on the back of his cornia.

Seriously, I hope you get your bimini back, but don't get hurt. It's not worth it.

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,902 Posts
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks the OP should just call the police and have them deal with it... Anything else generally ends up very badly.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Where is that dude from "The People's Court" who always said "don't take the law in your own hands" when you need him? He's probably 80 by now.

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
When I was a kid I was in a very similar situation as you. The wheels and tires were stolen off the back of my car. I reported it to the police. I had an extremely unusual set of tires that were easily identifiable. A couple of months later I found a Cutlass with my wheels and tires mounted on the back. I went home and loaded up the floor jack and a 4 way. My dad stopped me and told me to let the police handle it. I put the floor jack away and went to the police station. The next day I got to speak to the detective who had been assigned to the case. I even walked him outside and pointed at the car with my wheels on it, as it was parked less than a block away. Then an incredible amount of nothing happened. I called the detective a week later. The car was still sitting less than a block from the police station, and nothing was being done. I got blown off. Three weeks later the Cutlass disappeared never to be seen again.

Once the Cutlass was gone, my dad said I should have gone over with my floor jack. I say take your cop friend and go unbolt your bimini.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts