SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I contacted Raymarine support many times, but couldn't get a good answer. So, although I'm still a good Ray's customer, I'd like to share this. Raymarine's wind instrument shows TRUE wind only if you have speed over water information (i.e from the "paddle thing" installed). I refuse to make another hole to get wrong measurement anyway, and argue that TRUE wind could be calculated correctly only using SOG (speed over ground). Raymarine gave me several explanations (foolish ones) and I believe the only reason for that is to PUSH the market to purchase that "paddle thing". In critical situations (downwind with a spi, for instance), the wrong information could lead to wrong decisions and threaten your safety. Have you ever considered that ?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Breezing, let me beter clarify

Regardless the current, TRUE wind is a measure of speed over ground, not over water !! Suppose you're sailing dead downwind at 6knots against a counter-current of 6knots: your wind instrument will show you ZERO true wind, but reality is, since your are still relative to the ground (SOG is zero in this example), the reading should be the real 6knots of wind. So, your Raymarine instrument will fool you exactly by the current. And for the others not caring about this, I always read the instrument to decide for a spi, and as a single handed, I push my engine along with wind to create a 1-2 knots apparent. This makes setting the spi a breeze, and once I'm done, I just kill the engine and the spi fills; very safe right ? Unless you use Raymarine instrument. Since GPS is a commodity for boats nowadays, SOG is plenty available over the cables. Why simply Raymarine doesn't take SOG instead of SOW for true wind calculation ?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gosh bill ! We posted at the same time !!! I have this EXACT problem, and thanks for a so good clarification ............

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I agree to you that good sense is ....

unvaluable, and many has developed a 6th sense to that. I red people heading navigation based on wave shape, I personally saw an experienced sailor finding our way through a foggy afternoon just looking to the dirt milky water to find a channel entrance. But, if you often navigate in unknown grounds, that could pose some threat (minimized by your long run experience). Waves shape, sea state, wind gusts, etc .. are all dependent on the environmental conditions (sea bed, coast profile, latitude, pressure, etc ...) and your location IS the major condition. So, getting used to a familiar ground save a lot (I barely turn on my E80 on a typical day sailing). Aftermost, Raymarine drive me nuts by not recognizing their mistake (unforgivable) and my only explanation is to force you buy that #$$%##@ "paddle thing" !!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Hello ! This reminds me how good sense can drive us back to the rails. You're right, and I don't wanna make this a battle horse. I'm an old "lab rat" computer engineer, and should have avoided such trap a long ago. Brack, your search is correct STW and SOG have the same NMEA sentence format, and once you have a SeaTalk bridge, you can easily translate into whatever you want. My boat has 4 parallel nets for reliability (NMEA, SeaTalk, HSBus and Wireless) and using my StandardHorizon Plotter, I think I could bridge it. When spoke to Ray's engineer, I suggested to look first at SOG sentence, then STW, but you know how they care about it. Anyway, I like the idea to dump the firmware and change the setence match, that would be interesting, fixing and very very very very fun to me ..... once I have the time and the courage to split a ST60 appart, will share with you all.
Thanks guys. As my first post, I feel this is THE forum to be in !!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts