SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....now I need to learn how to use them.

The ipad isn't the 4g kind, I actually thought I got that, but it turns out I got a bigger GB one instead, they were the same price. But whatever. So I'm looking at the NOAA site and they have charts. There are two different formats: Electronic Navigation, and Raster navigation.

Which one do I want for the ipad and which one for the handheld gps. I'm going to use the ipad to just look at charts, and the gps the track my movement when I am on the water.

What apps do I want for the ipad?

·
Registered
136 Posts
It might make more sense if you go through the ITunes store. There will be an icon for that on the Ipad and then search marine navigation. I would very much recomend downloading the Garmin charts though. Combined with Active Captain, they are excellent. I can vouch for their accuracy in Lake Ontario and the BVI's. Also very good for planning and creating routes. I use the Ipad on the boat - have a holder attached to the binacle - even in full sun the visibility is great and the battery will last for about 10 hrs running the GPS. $50 buys charts for all of North America.

My two cents worth (even though we got rid of the penny).

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
There's an app called MotionX GPS that costs something like $5. It will download the NOAA charts and gives you some rudimentary chartplotter features.

·
Registered
22,338 Posts
For $25 you can get the Charts and Tides app and not only have charts, but tide and current info as well as Active Captain data.

Then you'll want the following apps too

Anchor Watch HD
NOAA Buoy and Tide data
SailFlow
WeatherTrack
Intellicast HD

·
Administrator
5,915 Posts
NOB, when you download whichever navigation app you want, you get the charts through them. It goes directly into the app. No interaction between you and NOAA.

I have the Garmin app which was free, but $35 for the charts. I get them through a link in the app. I believe that if you want full features, you'll have to pay something.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
You'll also need a bluetooth GPS to get GPS data into your iPad if you bought the version without cell support. Dual makes one that works well, but is expensive (about $100). I don't know what cheaper solutions have popped up in the 2 years since I bought the Dual.

You do need to make sure that the bluetooth GPS is iPad compatible, most of them are not.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Some of those Dual GPS units look like they provide weather information without a subscription, but they are intended for the aviation group (I think). Does anyone know how marine-appropriate they are?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I don't see exactly which model you have (I have no idea what a GB is), but make sure that it is not just WiFi enabled. Unless hey changed from the 3G models, WiFi does not have GPS built in. So that means that you'd have to buy a Verizon, ATT, etc iPad. But you don't need to sign up for a data plan to use the GPS.

I found this out the hard what when I motored away from the dock with my new iPad and lost all ability to locate. I traded it in and got a Verizon 3GS model and everything works great with or without cellular data turned on.

·
Registered
22,338 Posts
I didn't notice that the OP failed to get a cell enabled device. At the least, you'll need an external Bluetooth GPS reciever (iPad compatible).

I seriously recommend gong back for the cell plan. You can be a few miles offshore and still get live weather radar with it. I've navigated more than one storm with it. Seriously helpful. Not to mention downloading grib files, etc. I have the smallest data plan available and never come close to using it all.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I am not sure which iPad the OP bought as they all come with various GB memory. If one wants to use the iPad as a GPS/plotter then it only makes sense to get the one with the built in GPS receiver. The 3G and 4G iPads have this capability. Also these iPads have cellular capabilities which means they can get LTE and 4G cellular service. The 1 & 2 only get 3G cellular service if they are 3G compatible. They are all wifi compatible

I believe there are ways of connecting an external GPS but it is way more cumbersome an inconvenient than the iPads with the built in GPS receiver

I have the Garmin app and the Bluechart charts. As Denise has already stated the app is free and the charts are around $40 but cover parts of Canada, all the USA including Alaska and Hawaii, the Caribbean islands, northern part of South America and Central America, both coasts. All for $40. It makes a very handy backup chart plotter for me.

Another thing you can do is hook it up to Apple TV and display your plotter on your 70" flat screen tv.

·
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GB is gigabytes, at least to me.

No, I didn't get the cellular ipad. I should have. I'm trying to learn this tech stuff, but for some reason it just doesn't come naturally. When I was out sailing last summer, I felt like I could grasp most the the repair, maintenance and actual sailing quickly. I'm great with maps and navigation, but these darn computers, I just can't seem to get.

I think it's like how some people aren't good at math. My mind quickly spins numbers and to me it's obvious. But some people just can't. Maybe I'm like that with computer stuff.

All I want is to connect my garmin and ipad, plot the course at night on the bigger, better screen, and then use my garmin when I'm on the boat.

·
Administrator
5,915 Posts
I have the Dual XGPS and I use it with my wifi-only iPad. Works like a charm. If you buy the Garmin Bluechart app, you pay once and it loads onto both the iPad and the iPhone.

·
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SO, let's start with one thing today. I want the a couple noaa charts on my ipad and or laptop. Just to look at. Not to use while moving, but just to zoom in and out of and look at as if it was a paper chart in my hand.

For the ipad do I need an app? If so, which app does that, and second, do I go to noaa's website and download them?

·
Administrator
5,915 Posts
For the ipad do I need an app? If so, which app does that, and second, do I go to noaa's website and download them?
You do not download directly from the NOAA site to your iPad. You must choose your app first.

Once you choose your app, follow the instructions that it gives you for accessing the charts.

I highly suggest looking at the threads in the App section of the forum:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/apps-authors/

At some point, that's where I'm going to move this thread.

·
Registered
532 Posts
SO, let's start with one thing today. I want the a couple noaa charts on my ipad and or laptop. Just to look at. Not to use while moving, but just to zoom in and out of and look at as if it was a paper chart in my hand.

For "just viewing" NOAA charts I like SeaMap HD, it's $1.99 on the iTunes Store. Once installed you can download any NOAA chart(s) you like, for free. You download the charts from within the app. Be sure to get the US version of the app.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/seamap-us-hd/id439615827?mt=8

·
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh my god! This is so super cool. I have an entire noaa map of the country that I can zoom into as much as I want!!!

I can drag my finger to washington, and the pinch out the san juans and zoom into friday harbor! Or anywhere.

Noone told me this was that amazing! This is so far and above the garmin it's not even funny

·
Registered
22,338 Posts
....Noone told me this was that amazing! This is so far and above the garmin it's not even funny
I've said before, its the single greatest electronic improvement in sailing ever. Add movies, music, weather, email, skype, books, manual, internet research, its endlessly useful.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts