SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Endeavour 32
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I wrote a sailing story and it got published ! Lol, it's my first so it's kind of a big deal to me. I have the tune "Cover of the Rolling Stone" playing in my head. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, it's in the latest issue of Latitudes and Attitudes, which has been around for a long time. You can read the online version free. Home - Latitudes and Attitudes Magazine (latsatts.com)

My story is Delivery Deja Vu

Water Naval architecture Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Poster Boat

·
Old soul
5,596 Posts
I don't mean to put a damper on your achievement, but $100 is ridiculously low for this kind of work. Even if you don't plan to make writing a serious part of your activities, you should consider pushing for higher rates. You're worth it.

I speak as a long-time magazine writer.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I don't mean to put a damper on your achievement, but $100 is ridiculously low for this kind of work. Even if you don't plan to make writing a serious part of your activities, you should consider pushing for higher rates. You're worth it.

I speak as a long-time magazine writer.
What is a fair rate for that kind of work?

Given that most of the content in Lats and Atts is from subscribers and non-professional writers, it may be an exception to the general level of compensation.

·
Registered
1980 Endeavour 32
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think even Sail magazine pays more than $500 for a featured story, unless you happen to be somebody. If you're known in the sailing world, say like Tania Aebi who writes a regular article in L&A you probably get more. But I'm truly a completely unknown. even so, I'm still tickled about it.

:D (y)

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,315 Posts
The pay on one's first achievement has nothing to do with it. It takes years and hundreds of articles before a writer is honed enough to make them really worthwhile to the industry. It's like expecting to be paid for going to school.

But the first one published is a wonderful achievement. Magazines are inundated with submissions so to cut through and have something readable is excellent!

But writers write, so, congratulations wheres the next one?

Mark

·
Registered
850 Posts
How do you think Goodlander started? I remember him sitting in the cockpit at Independent Boatyard clacking away on a typewriter while Carolyn worked on the old Hughes, grinding bottom paint off and fairing away next to my boat and the ongoing "clack clack clack." I said ". . . hey, Fatman, I gotta get one of those!" He says ". . . a typewriter?" I says, noooo . . . a wife that will do all the boat work while I F off! Now I see he did an NPR interview and etc., etc. Good for them!

·
Old soul
5,596 Posts
What is a fair rate for that kind of work?

Given that most of the content in Lats and Atts is from subscribers and non-professional writers, it may be an exception to the general level of compensation.
Like all professionals, writers value their time and price accordingly. At minimum, I'd be looking for $300, plus a per-photo fee. But it also depends on what rights were sold, or licensed.

I assume this magazine is a standard commercial for-profit venture. They make their money by selling access to writers' works. Writers should not be expected to subsidize someone else's business.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Congratulations: Good article. It was very enjoyable reading. I look forward to seeing many more. Just a little advice. I was asked to write an article for Pacific Yachting in 2008. It was a technical article on fuel tanks. It was about 1000 words and I took all the photos they used. They paid me $600.00 bucks for it. So as some have said $100 is a little low, but perhaps they will let you work up to that.

Also ask for their Editorial Guidelines. Magazines usually have a set of rules for articles and these are their guidelines. They may not specify what they pay, but some do. Some pay by the word, others specify a length and a flat fee.

I suspect you will do better than I did. Shortly after my article was published in January 2009, Pacific Yachting was sold and there was a big shake up and a new editorial staff. The editor I was working with left So much for my writing career! LOL.

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Hey, I wrote a sailing story and it got published ! Lol, it's my first so it's kind of a big deal to me. I have the tune "Cover of the Rolling Stone" playing in my head. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, it's in the latest issue of Latitudes and Attitudes, which has been around for a long time. You can read the online version free. Home - Latitudes and Attitudes Magazine (latsatts.com)

My story is Delivery Deja Vu

View attachment 143580
Congrats! Fantastic! I'm gonna go and read it!

·
Registered
Argie 15
64 Posts
Nice Déjà Vu story! Plus I've been enjoying your YouTube stories. How are you doing on the 30,000 miles under the keel? I wondered if you got a better deal on the Cape Dory 28 after the previous owner ran into the piling and dock on your sea trial... :unsure: Great attitude about it all. "Excuse me, I'm coming through..." :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts