SailNet Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
... a logical conclusion
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I guess we'll have to go sailing; my house sold a couple of weeks ago, I gave-up possession yesterday and we have now officially moved aboard Sequitur.

Edi and I flew back to Vancouver earlier this week from the RCNA convention, where I handed-over my President's gavel and relinquished the last of my official responsibilities. We then spent the week sorting, selling on Craigslist, trashing, packing and moving the keepers to the boat and to the storage locker.

Edi has gone over to her house on the Island to go through the sorting, selling, trashing, packing and moving routine, while I continue to sort, organize, juggle and stow onboard. Her house has not yet sold (a couple of weeks ago she turned-down an offer of 90% of ask) but it is priced well and should go soon. Next week we'll haul her keepers to storage here in Vancouver, leaving her house vacant. Then we'll busy ourselves with the final bits of preparation for sailing off over the horizon.

Complicating our departure arrangements is the completion of our pied-a-terre here in Vancouver. A year-and-a-half ago, we bought a new loft in a century-old building in South East False Creek, which was scheduled for occupancy in May 2009. A city hall strike delayed permits and the commencement of construction, delaying completion until August. No problem, August fit nicely with everything else; however, the huge demand for construction on the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics projects caused August to migrate to October, forcing us to move our stuff to storage for a couple of months. It is a real juggling act moving over four decades of stuff from two houses totalling 5,000 square feet, into an 800 square foot loft and a boat. Having to do it through storage certainly adds to the complexity.

There are still a few things to tweak on Sequitur. The watermaker is awaiting a new salinity probe, we still have to fine-tune the SSB antenna set-up, we still have a problem getting the Raymarine Class B AIS to talk to the Raymarine E Series and we are awaiting the modifications to the cockpit canvas necessitated by the addition of the solar array arch. Then there's the final bit of spares and stores to add and stow.

We could have delayed our sail-away until after moving into the loft, but not wanting to be caught by further delays and having to transit the Washington, Oregon, northern California coast after mid-October, we are sticking to our original mid-September departure date. We'll fly back to Vancouver from California to take possession of the loft and move our stuff from storage. By then, the hurricane season should be nearly over, and we can fly back to Sequitur and continue south.

So, three weeks today, on the 13th of September we sail out. :D

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
There are worse things ...

We're with ya! We sail (hurricanes permitting) 9/9/09 on the right coast ;)

·
... a logical conclusion
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Eryka; 09/09/09 sounded good to me too, but I decided to wait four more days and leave on my 65th birthday. That way, I'll be able to say I started my circumnavigation after I had started my Old Age Pension. :D

I wish you fair winds on your voyage.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Michael,

Wow! What an exciting time. While those logistics are certainly challenging, if it helps any, most of us would love to have your problems.:D :D

All the best as you finalize preparations. Sounds like you've got a good plan and all your efforts will come together and pay off handsomely.

Keep us posted. Photos always welcome!

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Yeah, keep us posted. Are you planning on follow the baja haha crowd south or are you just going with the flow

·
19,485 Posts
Good on ya, Michael!

Doesn't seem to matter when you do the Washington/Oregon/Calif passage, it's gonna be cold and uncomfortable for a little while... Just keep in mind what awaits you up ahead!

Will miss seeing Sequiter at her Bowen slip!

Have a good one and keep us posted here!

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Hey Eryka; 09/09/09 sounded good to me too, but I decided to wait four more days and leave on my 65th birthday. That way, I'll be able to say I started my circumnavigation after I had started my Old Age Pension. :D

Wait, you'll be getting paid to cruise??? SWEET!!!

Keep us posted. I look forward to hearing about the performance of your beautiful boat!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Congrats!
Thanks for sharing so some of us will get an idea how complicated the adjustment to a "simpler" livestyle can be. I am about 2 years behind you and will leave in 2011.
Good luck, have fun and always fair winds on your voyage.

·
... a logical conclusion
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Doesn't seem to matter when you do the Washington/Oregon/Calif passage, it's gonna be cold and uncomfortable for a little while... Just keep in mind what awaits you up ahead!
Yes, but at least in the May-October time slot there are usually nice NNW or NW winds from the quasi-stationary high off the Vancouver Island and Washington coasts. By late October the lows start marching in one after the other, bringing us our famous rainy season. By then, the prevailing winds have too much of a southerly component, and if I'm going to be uncomfortable, I'd rather run with the weather than beat into it.

Will miss seeing Sequiter at her Bowen slip!
We're now moored at the False Creek Yacht Club, front and centre, directly below the clubhouse. :cool:

·
19,485 Posts
...We're now moored at the False Creek Yacht Club, front and centre, directly below the clubhouse. :cool:
No doubt being bombarded by Blackberry Birdsh**t :eek: ;)

·
... a logical conclusion
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WoW!!! Good for you! I agree, we need some pics!!!

Keep us posted.

- CD
Here's a shot from this morning. I promise that future photos will be in wilder surroundings.

It seems ironic, that after years of waiting for moorage at the club, my name has finally made it to the top of the list, just as we prepare to sail away. :(
Oh well, when we come back in a decade or so, it will still be at the top of the list. :D

·
Registered
5,491 Posts

The pension will cover your diesel! Fair winds, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Sequitur,
Go for it. Its great to see someone doing what they are talking about.

PM me and I'll give you a HF freq and time. When you get started across the ditch, give us a call/email.
DC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.