SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my boat has been on the hard since October. I knew the birds were going to make a mess so I asked for the yard to shrink wrap the boat. I went down there Saturday and the boat was a mess. The yard tells me the boat should be covered this week. I wanted to clean the boat before covering but the water has been shut off. The best I could do was carry 5 gallons in jugs.

Better than nothing but I sure hope the boat gets covered and I will be very busy cleaning in the spring.

Barry

Attachments

·
Registered
21,758 Posts
I was about to say BTDT, until I saw your pics. That's brutal. Maybe you should just tarp the decks, until they get the shrink wrap on. Or buy a Fairclough cover and install it yourself, asap, after you're hauled. They're better for your boat and economical over time too.

This year, I did get the chance to wash down my decks, when on the hard and before they covered her. I came back, after she was covered, to do some projects and the deck looked like a disaster. Not only were there some bird dropping (nothing like yours), the guys that installed my cover just dirty the heck out of the decks. Almost not worth bothering.

·
Registered
272 Posts
From your pictures I see the boat next to you took a lot of crap as well. You may want to talk with other owners about how the yard might deter your feathered friends.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I have not shrink wrapped my boat in years partly for this reason and the other is it tends to get get mildew in the cabin over the winter. Though it was somewhat of a tactical mistake with the brutal winter last year. :( I do get bird droppings on the deck but the winter rains wash them away by spring which means less cleaning and no mildew inside.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
I found something that really works well to keep the birds off the boat. It's an osprey wind sock that I attached to the flag line. I had dozens of bird droppings on the boat every week that stained everything they touched. The only thing that successfully removed those stains was LA Totally Awesome Cleaner, which I found at Dollar General for $1 a bottle. That stuff is fantastic. I purchased the osprey wind sock from Amazon.com: Osprey - Assembled Bird Kite, Wind Sock: Toys & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@410Y5n6Y-QL

good luck,

Gary :cool:

·
12,115 Posts
Damn Barry that looks like a Hitchcock scene.
We put streamers up and pinwheels up when we can.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Or buy a Fairclough cover and install it yourself, asap, after you're hauled. They're better for your boat and economical over time too.
I washed the deck after haul-out and waxed the topsides before putting on my 2-yr old Fairclough cover on myself. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth all the trouble and expense and then I see the OP's photos.

I prefer a canvas cover for its breathability. My previous canvas cover was Sunbrella and it eventually lost its waterproofing and I gave up trying the remedy that and replaced it after 18 years. Nonetheless, I have never had a mildew problem. My other boat has a cover using the Sunforger treated canvas that Fairclough uses and it has lasted 20 years, although it is getting a bit tired.

These covers are certainly cost-effective--compared to having the yard shrink-wrap every year--over the long haul, especially if you install them yourself.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,758 Posts
I washed the deck after haul-out and waxed the topsides before putting on my 2-yr old Fairclough cover on myself.
I'm jealous. Looks great!!

These covers are certainly cost-effective--compared to having the yard shrink-wrap every year--over the long haul, especially if you install them yourself.
When I bought mine at the Newport Boat show, I paid something in the range of 3 years of shrink wrapping and the first year install was included.

Since I don't have anywhere convenient to store the cover and frame, I decided to pay the yard to R&R and store it, which then broke even in about 5 years. I do have that ongoing cost, but it's a fraction of shrink wrap and still the way to go, as you've pointed out.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
..... but it's a fraction of shrink wrap and still the way to go, as you've pointed out.
Appreciate the compliments.

My cover goes down to the waterline to protect the hull as well as the deck. The advantage of the Fairclough covers using treated duck is that they shrink to fit the framework tightly. This results in less flapping and the associated wear on both fabric and canvas. So, the cover fits like shrink wrap, but breathes. It really is the way to go if you want to keep your boat in good shape for many years.

The thumbnails show the full cover in October and the hull before launch in June. We probably go about 3/4 as far as Maine Sail in maintaining the gel coat on our 25 yr old boat. So, we are paying our dues in elbow grease, but SeaScape is worth it!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts